Has your Apple Bumper protected your drops?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by gnychis, Dec 6, 2010.

1. gnychis macrumors 6502

Hi all,

What has the outcome been of your drops while using an Apple Bumper? Any cracks?

2. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

It's important to remember the bumper was designed for one purpose. It's a band aid designed to compensate for a poorly designed antenna. No where is it written that it's to protect the phone. I know, I've seen too many people at work with shattered glass.

For those who are always celebrating Apples huge profit, selling replacement iPhones makes an even better argument for using fragile glass. The term "Gorilla Glass" is just smoke & mirrors.

3. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

Cool man, go take your Jaded pessimism elsewhere

While its true the that using glass in a phone makes it more fragile, no one forced you to buy the phone.

My bumper has saved my ass several times from a waist high fall

4. adztaylor macrumors 68000

Once again going off topic and launching your endless tirade to NOONE who wants to listen. Do you ever get bored not providing the answers to what people ask?

Back on topic, yes I had the white bumper on. dropped it whilst outside and luckily it landed first on the bumper. Took a massive chunk out of the bumper but my phone remained scratch free haha. I did get lucky I admit.

5. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Dropped once on a flight of stairs. Landed on the corner and scratched my screen protector up a bit but no phone damage. As a result, I now use a Contour Showcase AND have an Otterbox Defender.

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Yes. I have dropped mine at least half a dozen times onto concrete from waist height with absolutely no damage.

7. King Luis macrumors 6502

dropped mine a couple times from couch height...bumper protected...but since i have to take the bumper on and off every time i want to connect it to my car, the bottom portion has slightly broke and i'm looking for a replacement.

8. redman042 macrumors 68020

Why does there have to be a cynic in every thread? wirelessmacuser, don't be "that guy". The antenna gate thing is SO three months ago...

No case provides fool-proof protection. Everyone has to balance how much protection they want vs. how much bulk they can live with. The bumper is on the minimal side. With that said, it will provide protection in many drop scenarios. It's saved mine once or twice.

Just examining how any case fits on the phone and thinking about the many ways it can drop and impact something will give you a pretty good idea how it will fare. As long as the bumper falls on a flat surface without protrusions and from not too far a height, it's likely (but not guaranteed) to protect the phone.

One of the vulnerabilities the iPhone 4 seems to have is the edges of the glass since they are raised above the metal band. Striking the glass on one of those edges is very likely to shatter it. The bumper does protect those areas.

My $0.02.

9. RenoG macrumors 65816

Agreed 100% I've dropped my phone 3-4 times and fortunately it landed on the bumper each time. Thank goodness. I believe the rubber surrounds obsorbs some of the impact as there were a few times I thought my phone was toast.

10. calvy macrumors 65816

dropped my iphone flat on it's back onto my concrete garage floor while it was wearing a black bumper and the back glass shattered. Apple luckily replaced it for free for me. This was about 14 days after I took delivery of my iPhone 4 one day prior to retail launch.

11. JamesHP macrumors regular

It did, but my bumper itself hasn't lasted long at all. The plastic is coming away from the rubber and it started letting stuff get in between the phone and the bumper allowing it to 'polish' the antenna. I got a replacement phone (for an entirely different reason) and decided not to let the bumper anywhere near the new one and went back to the old Griffin Reveal as a stopgap until I got a new case.

12. allisfair macrumors member

had a scare yesterday in the washroom. was in a rush so i quickly washed and dried hands using my pants. so my hands were still a little wet and picked up iphone and effectively tossed it on to the floor cause of slippage.

it landed screen first but luckily no cracks or damage. apple bumper made a save there i guess.