Has your iPad 3 usage changed over the earlier models?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MacAttacka, May 1, 2012.

1. MacAttacka macrumors 6502

I have found my usage patterns for iPad 3 are actually quite different from the early gen iPads.

1. A whole lot more reading. I had not problem reading on the iPad 2. It was as good as anything else but iPad 3 makes me want to read on its screen. It's on par with paper, once your eyes adjust to it theres no going back. Rather than just a thing you do its a thing you end up enjoying.
    2. New Apps mean more iPad less PC. I had a lot of problems with the limitations in the early iPad 2 period. Over time I think I have found a work around for practically all problems. iCloud, dropbox, iPhoto and a couple of other stuff. Uploading, file manager and flash website use has been worked around.
    3. Camera. I actually find myself using this feature as opposed not at all with the iPad 2. If im out and about its so easy to take a snap of an item and its crystal clear. I saw some items in a store and a decent price, snapped a shot and messaged it across to a buddy. In another instance, my PC had some problems. Rather than take the whole device to the store,I just snapped some key images, all the specs for any replacement part were easily worked out. At one point i zoomed into a part number and eveything was easily figured out. So easy and useful.
    4. More iPad buddies. So many more of my friends now have an iPad so sharing messages, images, recommending apps and just keeping in touch is so much easier. Before I had to waste time on nonsense like facebook, now I use the messenger service so much more.
    5. Voice dictation. Once you get the hang of this, its very useful for long or quick emails. It beats using the on screen keyboard for long periods.
    6. The iPad is pretty much my primary computer right now. Its always being carried with me has tied to 3G 24/7. Apps like Logmein mean that my laptop will probably just stay at home as a server and my iPad will act as a permanent client. I can access all my home drives, Office and the PC as if Im there. Its not perfect yet but we’re getting there.

A lot of these functions could still be done with the iPad 2 so its as much as an improvement in software as hardware.

2. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Yes, my usage has changed after upgrading to the new iPad. It now makes me want to slam it against a wall when I see all those yellow blotches on the screen. :)

But seriously, I hear you. The screen resolution is superb. Makes reading a lot easier.

3. NewtonApple macrumors member

Usage is the same. The purpose of the new iPad is the same as the iPad 1 and 2. It is used as an Internet appliance.

Extra resolution is good but it does not knock me down and the speed is about the same. The speach to text feature works really well and it used often.

I gave up on Siri but am not unhappy as I expected little of it to begin with.

Until Apple gives me a true file storage system, my iPad 3 will be little more than a very loved Internet appliance!

4. MacAttacka thread starter macrumors 6502

You know, i just saw yesterday the left part of mine is ever so slightly pinky and the right is ever so slightly greener. Then my reaction was just to role my eyes. I think it adds character and distinctivness :)

No, but seriously, think about all the problems there are out there in the world and we both have iPad 3s in our hands. Life cant be that bad can it. Even without such extreme examples its important not to lose perspective on how fabulous it is. Im so fond of my iPad 3 even with its trippy screen. I prefer it over the iPad 2 and if this is the best that Apple and its partners can do then so be it.

----------

This is where the work around come in. Ive got used to emailing files out directly. I can download music, videos, pdf using the iCab downloader. I can then either transfer them to media players such as AVHD and create files and folders there. Alternatively i can upload downloaded files from the download manager directly.

The kind of complex file structures we use in out office on multiple drives for example cant be replicated on the iPad and I dont overly miss it. Using the iPad as a PC client using a remote desktop solves that problem to a large extent. You're right that it needs some work before its a true PC replacement but im surprised how functional the device is with the right apps.

5. NewtonApple macrumors member

Sounds like a good plan. We all use Dropbox in our company and would love to keep all of our bids ON the iPad. There are time we do not have access to the Internet.

If I had a file system, Word and Excel, my iPad's usefulness to me on an everyday basis would multiple a thousand fold! Until then, they sit a home, while I go out and work!

6. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

No change. I had already almost given up PC at home already.

7. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

I've owned all 3 iPads and my "go to" device at home is still my MacBook Pro. However with LTE on my new iPad, I find myself using it far more frequently out in the wild vs. the first 2 iPads.

8. MacAttacka thread starter macrumors 6502

Totally agree. I need Excel and to some extent Word. The remote desktop is OK but nowhere near as good as the real thing. Office will probably come out of the iPad so that's one problem solved. The other problem is that a lot of the key functionality depends on it being online. Dropbox and remote desktops are both great but as soon as you lose signal you end you're holding a shiny media player.

9. NewtonApple macrumors member

I would pay big for Word and Excel and like you think we will see it. :)

Doubt that Apple will give us a file system:(

10. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

The only thing that ever changes is the user of my OTHER stuff in my house.

I had an iPad 2 for several months and after receiving it, I barely used my game consoles and barely watched any TV on an actual TV. (We are cord cutters, so we watch everything on Hulu Plus and Netflix, and then supplement with iTunes content as needed). I also never bought a paper book or magazine again and my laptop and tower PC were shut down and unused in the basement at all times. Eventually the laptop was sold.

When I sold my iPad 2 (only to pay for the iPad 3) I jumped the gun by about a month because I thought the new one would be out sooner. I was miserable. But all my other devices got used a lot more.

Got my iPad 3, and I use it for absolutely everything again. My 360, PS3, PC tower, and TVs are all jealous. Even my iPhone doesn't get used for anything except calls and texts.

11. urkel macrumors 68030

Zero change with iPad 3. The biggest difference is now that I have both an iPad 2 and 3 at once is that I can finally multitask.

12. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

Between the iPad 1 and 2 the 3 gets used just as much as the others did.

13. gtmac macrumors 6502a

I do read more as the text is just beautiful.

14. iKIKO macrumors regular

iKIKO

i use it most of the time for reading ebooks, safari and youtube

15. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

I agree with a lot of the posts here. The improved screen and responsiveness has me much more reliant on my iPad than ever before. A downside with the New iPad however is the battery life. I'll admit, I like all my services on and the brightness up pretty high, 80-100% usually. As a result, keeping it juiced up is something I have to pay much more attention to now. The biggest adjustment is that I now carry its charging adaptor with me throughout the day, so that if I'm using it for any sizable length of time and near an outlet, I plug in, similar to the way I used my laptop. It's also frustrating that it doesn't recharge particularly fast when it's being used while plugged in either. Some nights, if I leave the display on with a clock or an app like Magic Window on, it won't be fully charged when I leave in the morning.

Hopefully the next generation will bring back the phenomenon battery life the first two iPads showed us was possible.

16. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

This problem is exactly why I started using Evernote even for file storage needs. Premium users can store files offline. The Mac client works pretty well, so changes I make in docs within Evernote are automatically synced to Evernote on my iPad. Making changes on the iPad is a pain in the ass still, but that's a different story.

The other solution is to sync your Dropbox account to Goodreader. The only problem is that syncing is not automatic, so you're not assured of having the latest and greatest.

17. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

No change. Still quite nice for recreational web surfing, but not up to my new Kindle for comfortable reading.

E-ink still clearer with a more paper like appearance. Longer battery life and so much more pleasant to hold it's light, compact size.

18. Batavian macrumors 6502

Batavian

I miss being able to do this too on the iPad 3 :(

19. CandyNJ66 macrumors regular

Absolutely changed. I also read more with my kindle app, watch more movies because the Retina display looks awesome! I have bought a lot more apps including Retina optimized apps.

I have no PC, so my iPad 3 is my computer :)