Has your Iphone 4 just dramarically shut down on you?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Bdubb, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Bdubb macrumors regular

Bdubb

Ok I have an iphone 4 jailbroken on 4.0.1 for more than a month now, and within the Past month TWICE it just shut off on me randomly.. The Only Jailbroken apps I have is Cydia (of course) 3G Unristrictor, Make it Mine and aTube and SSH.

It once happened a while ago...and once last night, I was in a text (SMS)conversation back and forth with a friend. as soon as I sent my long a$$ text I just hit the home key and put that phone in my pocket, and walked outside my house for some fresh air.

I was anticipating to hear the Text chime back from my friend, but it never came, I kinda got suspicious, so I reached in my pocket and picked up the phone, hit the Home button and nothing, then tap the power button, again nothing..kinda got a little worried and sure enough my phone was powered off. (Just to Note that the battery was like 85% full, it was nowhere close to being low)

So I naturally held down the power button to turn this baby on, and....No cigar.. I held it there for like 10 seconds...no apple logo, nothing! Just a dead blank screen

At this point two things were going through my head..a visit to the Apple store, and I hope I can restore this phone or do something before they can find out it's Jailbroken.

So I decided to proceed to the next logical step, I held down the Home and Power buttons for more than ten seconds and Voila! Apple logo shows up phone springs to life, Lock screen to Home screen, everything's back to normal.

Now just to trace back my last steps before this happened, I wrote a text message that was very long, like over 200 characters long (at least 40-50 characters more than the 160 limit, I hit "send" and put the phone in my pocket, I'm guessing somehow the phone struggled with sending this data and shut itself off?!?!

Has anyone else experienced such behavior? or maybe knows the cause and the reason for it?

Sorry for the long a** post.

Thanks

Bdubb

2. bigsexyy81 macrumors 6502a

bigsexyy81

3. seanwebb68 macrumors 6502

I had a problem like this when uploading videos to facebook but they phone didn't go off it was still on but i just couldn't get anything to display so i had to reboot the phone before i could use it again.

I never did work out what it was but i thought it was possible a facebook issues as i was uploading a 18minute clip.

Maybe i was wrong i hope you get to the bottom of this...

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, that happened to me a few times also.
    There was another thread about it, I'll see if I can find it.

5. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

I've had it happen a number of time on my 3g and 3gs. This isn't JB or iphone 4 specific.

6. mokeiko macrumors 6502

I had the same thing happen. Pressed the power and home button until I saw the Appple logo. The weird thing was I was receiving about 3 text messages, which I heard from the text message sound but I couldn't read them since I was driving at the time. When I got home I went to check the messages and noticed the phone was off. Neither the power button nor home button could turn the phone on so I used both buttons. I also am jailbroken with 4.0.1, I hope it doesn't happen again.

7. heyisti macrumors 6502

heyisti

8. Bdubb thread starter macrumors regular

Bdubb

Thanks for all the responses guys, I'm glad I'm not the only one with this anomaly.

Since it's very odd and very rare, I wouldn't really even consider it an "issue" Let's just hope it doesn't happen more frequently.

9. RRR3 macrumors newbie

Thank you sooo much

Thank you so much for step by step detail of how to fix this issue.
    Exactly what happened to you happened to me,
    So thankful for your help registered just to that. :D

10. Shonda macrumors newbie

iPhone 4

Can you tell me how u fixed your phone mine doing the same thing?

11. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

It would happen to my dads 3G quiet a bit during the later days of iOS 3. I'm guessing I fixed it because I did a fresh restore to iOS 4.1 and later upgraded it to 4.2.1 and the shutoff hasn't happened since.

12. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

My iPhone 4 used to randomly, not frequently, shut down during use before I ever jailbroke it. Oddly, since jailbreaking I no longer have that problem. I think it might have just been overheating, as I live in Florida and spend a lot of time at the beach in the sun.:)