Has your opinion changed on the new iPad name?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by KittyKatta, Oct 12, 2012.

1. KittyKatta macrumors 6502a

KittyKatta

Back in March then I think everyone can admit that it was pretty difficult to have a rational conversation about the iPad name. But with several months of reality to let the change settle in (and tempers to settle down) then I'm curious what everything thinks now.

- The iPhone brand didnt drop the numbering system as expected
    - The iPad brand is supposedly expanding
    - "the new iPad", "the iPad" or "the iPad (2012)" name didnt really stick with tech enthusiasts or the general public
    - Searching for "iPad" related info/merchandise yielded mixed results since it was no longer a specific search item

For me personally then I have to be on the side that hopes Apple goes back to numbering just for the simplicity. If my grandma is calling it the iPad 3 then I just dont see how continuing to call each annual model "The New iPad" every year.

But how about you? Does it still upset you when people call it the iPad 3? Do you want them to go back to numbers like with the iPhone? Do you think next years model should also be called "The new iPad"?
    :D

2. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

i doubt that next year's model will be "The new iPad" that would just create too much confusion. I figure either they will go back to the numbering system with iPad 4 (though highly unlikely) or they might just call it 'The New iPad 2" and phase out the old iPad 2 and replace that with the The iPad"

Hmm that sounds confusing:
    Currently in the Apple Store (new, not refurbs)
    iPad 2 ... The New iPad

Future
    The New iPad ... The New iPad 2

Since the iPad 2 (2nd gen) will most likely be available as refurbs only, this might work out... but it's just a speculation. If this turns out to be somewhat along the lines of what Apple has planned, i wonder how they will do the 5th gen iPad's name...

3. Carouser macrumors 65816

The name of the product is 'iPad'. They sometimes use 'new' to refer to the current generation, but that is simply an adjective used occasionally in their copy. It is not part of the proper noun 'iPad', which is why Apple never capitalizes 'new' when they use it, as far as I have seen.

4. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

"Has your opinion changed on the new iPad name?"

Um...actually...never gave it 2 seconds thought.;)

5. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

This is how Apple will be (and is already) handling the naming:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Apple seems to get by just fine with plain titles for the MacBook, Mac Pro, Air, AppleTV, iMac, iPod... did I miss anything?

The world will make do.

7. KittyKatta thread starter macrumors 6502a

KittyKatta

Good info, thanks.

Im not trying to argue anything, but in 2013 then saying the iPad (current generation) does feel a bit like a "He who shall not be named" situation where its just so much easier to say "Voldemort" or iPad 4. :D

----------

Yes. You missed that the world is ignoring Apples naming conventions when it comes to iPads and still incorrectly refers to the current gen iPad (2012) as the iPad 3.

Again, Im not trying to argue but I was just curious on whether or not people out here have changed their stance now that the public and press has given their opinion on the name.

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

What opinion? What stance? :confused:

Are you refering to some articles and/or forum posts you've seen recently? If so, can you post links?

9. Bez59 macrumors regular

I see what your saying but surely if they are going to start putting numbers at the end again then they may as well just call it the iPad 4.

10. PJ. macrumors regular

Won't it be called new iPad and when selling the 2012 new iPad it will be called iPad (3rd generation) ?

PJ

11. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

edit, nvm. yeah you're right. that's how it will be. just added a new iPad (the non-refurb) to a cart and it comes up as iPad with Wi-Fi 16GB - Black (3rd generation)... but i wonder (this ties in with the OP's question) if they will continue the use of the word "new" or do something else....

12. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Well, for the iPod touch, Apple calls them "iPod touch 5th generation" and "iPod touch 4th generation."
    http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_ipod/family/ipod_touch (See top of page)

In other words, name is not that important -- when there is a need to distinguish between generations on their website, Apple will figure out a way to do so.

13. KittyKatta, Oct 13, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2012

KittyKatta thread starter macrumors 6502a

KittyKatta

Everything is mentioned in the top post.
    I dont think links are necessary. Just rewind the forum back to Feb 2012 to see how aggressively people out here were defending the name and insisting that there's no chance that the iPhone wont follow suit and go numberless.

Fast forward 8 months and this product still doesnt have a proper name. Is it iPad (3rd generation), iPad 3, New iPad, new iPad, iPad (current generation)? Every podcast, spoken conversation, article or google search refers to the new iPad as the iPad 3 just for simplicity so I was just curious if any attitudes out here have changed or if there's a consensus on what to call it because it sure would make discussing it easier if there was a single, easy to say, proper name.

14. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

See bolded part -- obviously there *is* a consensus on how to refer to the current iPad.

And I think people who were upset about calling it an iPad 3 were being silly, and I also don't think there were that many of them to begin with. Certainly none of them has come forth and admitted to it since you posted this question.

Personally, I thought it was weird when iPad 2 was called that. I was expecting it to be called the iPad, with "new," "current," " 2nd gen" and other adjectives added when needed to differentiate it from the original iPad. I'm glad Apple dropped the number. I'm a bit disappointed that the iPhone still gets numbers, but I can see how that may be necessary seeing how Apple sells two previous gen models alongside the current one.

15. ziffos macrumors member

ziffos

To me it is the ipad3 - always has been and - unless Apple actually bring out an ipad3 - always will be:)

16. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I've always wondered what it's like, to live the tumultuous life of those who obsess over such a silly topic.

Nothing in my world is impacted by Apples product names.

I don't give a flip about what they're called. :D

17. iEvolution macrumors 65816

Always have had generation identification with iOS/iPod devices, it makes it easier to distinguish between different models/generations honestly don't know why people complain about it. 'The new iPad' isn't going to be a viable name for this model next year.

Only reason they don't identify generations on their computers is because there are several different configurations that can be had with the same model, otherwise I wish they used the generation identification on all their products.

18. Androidfan1x macrumors regular

because this year's ipad is called "The new iPad", next-gen iPad will be called "The newer new iPad", the iPad in 2014 will be called "The newer newer new iPad", likewise, the iPad in 2015 will be called "The newest iPad" and there won't be another iPad in 2016 :)

19. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

20. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Everyone I know calls this an iPad3, and the name makes sense. Unless they want to throw felid names into the mix. ;)

iPad Tiger anyone?

21. Thegolem macrumors regular

I was watching Tim Cook's appearance at ATD the other day and he was asked about this. He didnt really have an answer.

22. KittyKatta thread starter macrumors 6502a

KittyKatta

While most of us are clear on how to distinguish the models, people like my mom arent. I bought her a new "iPad", she wanted a case and went to amazon searching for "iPad" and found a great deal on one called "Hardshell case for iPad". I think we all guessed the end to this, it was for the original ipad and didnt fit.

Its not obsessive to have an opinion on a product name when you factor in that searching for that specific "Product Name" gives you in the wrong results.

----------

What iPod generation are they at now? I know when I hear people talk about iPods then its usually based on description. "The square one." "The fat one." "The candy bar one." I appreciate Apples simplicity because things like LG 45SS# is insane for consumer goods, but considering the iPhone is the easiest product to identify by just saying its official name then maybe the numbering thing makes sense.

23. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I most certainly do not disagree with you. Frankly I try _not_ to even think about Apple's naming conventions.

And why?

Because they are complete lunacy. Yes, that's exactly how I feel.

And why?

Because I've been an Apple laptop / desktop / iDevice buyer for many years. The way Apple names their products is just stupid...

Yeah I can imagine the justifications, explanations, and blah blah blah that will follow my post from those who worship Apple and Steve Jobs like it's their religion.

Why should one of my many laptops be called the "Mid 2010 MBP" only Apple enthusiasts like myself know what that designates. Why make it so confusing to the average person. This from the company that brags, "it just works".

This from the company where simple, wins over interesting high performance.

If most everyone else can give a product a specific name or number or combination of those two, then Apple doesn't have to be all wonky with their naming practices.

That's my 2.345 cents. :)

24. Candlelight macrumors 6502a

Candlelight

This is what everyone I know thinks and does.

What would the next iPad be called? The Newer Ipad?

25. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Let's see what everyone else is calling their products. Here are some names for Android phones I found in a google search:
    HTC One X
    LG Optimus G
    Motorola Droid Razr Maxx

From those, can anyone tell what their *next* products will be called? Will HTC One X be followed by a HTC Two X, or will the next one be HTC One Y? What is Motorola going to do to top Droid Razr Maxx?

"Mid 2010 MacBook Pro" at least tells me when it was made, and it is obvious that a "Late 2011 MacBook Pro" is the more recent product. Sure, sometimes other companies do use naming conventions like Galaxy I, II, III, which tells us which one is the older, but more often than not, they just name them every which way they want. Just go to Sony, Dell or HP's websites and see if you can keep their S-line, X-line, Z-line, T-line etc, of laptops straight.