Has Your USB Sync Cable Scratched Your iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DocDoom, Sep 26, 2010.

1. DocDoom macrumors regular

I noticed, only after a few days, that right around the 30 pin dock connector, there are scratches from the usb sync cable. It looks like the cable presses right on the steel band when plugged in. The scratches are very minor, but still there. Anyone else have scratches/scuffs from the Usb sync cable? Just wanna know if this is normal, or if im pressing in the cable too hard.

2. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

No but have scratches on my head from why you would care about small scratches around the 30-pin connector which is bound to happen eventually..

3. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

I concur. Things are just getting to be too crazy on this site....

4. DocDoom thread starter macrumors regular

..Just thought id ask. Guess im kinda Ocd about my gadgets :rolleyes:. It just surprised me that the steel band would scratch so easy. I thought it would take more then the sync cable to scratch it.

5. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Better the metal than the glass dude. :)

The problem is you are getting metal on metal so it's bound to scratch it. No worries.

6. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Try being more careful.

Marc

7. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

8. DocDoom thread starter macrumors regular

I was very careful. I just had the phone for a few days now, and only plugged it in about 3 times. It seems that the Usb sync cable presses against the steel band when its plugged in.

9. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

I had my phone since launch day and no scratches due to sync cable.

10. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Oh $&@?, now you've led me to notice a scrape on my otherwise flawless iP4. Do you think Apple will take it back for a warranty claim? Should I reformat it and remove the JB? Or so you think Apple may have been kidding about the JB voiding the warranty. Oh man I just want to crawl under a rock and die!

There, I hope that's enough overreacting for this thread. Let's keep our neuroses to ourselves from here on OK! :rolleyes:

11. DocDoom thread starter macrumors regular

I already had the iPhone packed and ready to ship back to Apple!
    Guess I was overreacting...;)

12. Branskins macrumors 65816

It might be annoying, but it is probably the best spot to scratch when you think about it. No one really sees that area so chances are you will be more upset about the fact that it is there than whether or not you see it. At least it isn't some big scratch along the side where you can easily see it!

Moral: it sucks, but it really is the best spot to get some minor scratches. Not many people, most importantly you, will really see it as it is in a spot that really isn't on display.

13. DocDoom thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah i guess those scratches would come later on anyway...it just sucks they came so easily,...and so soon. :eek:

14. Risco macrumors 68000

Risco

15. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

as far as I can see the cable doesn't even go all the way in, to leave enough of a gap for the bumper case?

16. Shanewilliams macrumors 6502a

I might could understand how itd get scratched if you were plugging it in in the dark and were moving around trying to find the connection but wouldnt that be user error, not apples fault??

17. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

I got my phone before launch day and have no scratches. How after a couple of days do you already have scratches there?

18. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

Wow you need to get laid

You're giving people with OCD a bad name

"OMG guys, my tires got dirty when I drove around"

19. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

na.. but my cable bent one of the pins inside the iphone resulting in it not charging properly.... fecking annoying

Genius seen it, classed it as accidental damage and bent it back into place (working ok so far) but if it happens again I am entitled to one being replaced under warranty

20. Trat macrumors regular

Why don't you guys just leave the iPhone in it's box and wait 2 years so you can sell it as a new device on eBay. I'm pretty sure that's the only way of getting your investment back. Scratches or no scratches, it doesn't really matter when you sell your iPhone cause it will be labeled as 'Used' anyway...

21. lush242000 macrumors member

lush242000

Has it scratched my phone? Probably. Have I looked? Nope.