Has your WATCH helped to curb your iPhone addiction?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Oppressed, May 24, 2015.

1. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

I was listening to a podcast talk about society's addition to their cell phones. You know where people ignore their surroundings and basically cycle through various social media applications in an endless loop, and I got to thinking about the  WATCH's affect on this issue.

What I have noticed is that since I got my  WATCH I obviously use my iPhone less, but more importantly I don't feel as drawn to start those vicious cycles of endless social media. This has helped me to not become one of those people who spend meals, and other social situations, just constantly looking down at my phone.

I'm curious to see if anyone else has had a similar effect, or the opposite to where having social information more readily available caused them to become more ingrain in their social media cycle.

2. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Yup. I don't tinker aimlessly with my iPhone much anymore.

3. TheColtr macrumors regular

It has helped me a lot. I feel more free to leave my phone in my bedroom or living room and walk around the house because I know I'll get my notifications and anything I need to do can be accessed on my watch. I also notice when I need something to do, I'm not pulling out my phone, I'm looking at my watch. And because the watch has limited function I end up not playing with it for long and actually interact with people. That and the fact that tons of people ask about my watch, I feel like the watch has helped me get out of my anti-social iPhone cave.

4. Oppressed thread starter macrumors 65816

Oppressed

I think you hit the nail on the head, because the opposite happens when you begin to play with your phone. You start to use the phone because you wanted to check one thing, but since you have the phone open you decide to check another social media, then you decide to check on that game where you have to collect gold from your buildings, and then you decide to check X, Y then Z. Meanwhile you don't have nearly as many functions on your watch so after you finish checking a notification then you are done! Move on with life.

5. GrimmsGirl macrumors 6502

GrimmsGirl

Yes, I definitely tinker with my phone less.

It seems, at least based on my limited and very unscientific observations, that the people who have embraced the Watch because it's allowing them to put down their phones are the ones who are the happiest with it.

The folks who can't understand why they can't respond to emails, can't read very email, think texting is cumbersome, or are finding the limited social media interactions... well... limiting, seem to be most unhappy with the watch.

I think it's liberating.

When I get a notification on my watch, I don't feel the need to reply to it at that moment unless it's an urgent request. Most emails, texts, social posts are not urgent. Somehow we've been programmed to believe they all require an immediate response. I'm completely enjoying being reprogrammed back the other way.

6. bushido Suspended

bushido

not really cuz i still have to response and check all my social media on my iPhone. however it has decreased the amount of times i check the phone to see if i missed solethinh so that is great, especially when i am outside. however oh let me tell u once i am on my phone there is no stopping me ... like right at this moment lol

i do feel more free cuz like the guy above said i am not walking around the house wondering if i missed sth cuz i will know right from my wrist and can go back to my obsession later