Haswell Air vs. Ivy Bridge Air - worth waiting for?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ghileman, Sep 14, 2011.

1. ghileman macrumors regular

2. minnus macrumors 6502

What it means is that you should get SandyBridge to hold you over till Haswell. Otherwise, you're looking at over a 2 year wait?

3. flight macrumors regular

4. mgs4 macrumors newbie

mgs4

dude the new macbook airs came out around 2 months ago, and you're asking whether you should wait a year or two till the next model? :confused:

5. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

6. deeddawg macrumors 604

If your existing computer is meeting all your needs, then sit back and enjoy it until it ceases to work or your needs change such that it doesn't meet them.

If your existing computer isn't meeting all your needs and another computer is on the market which does meet those needs, go buy it.

There will always be something newer/better/faster/cooler coming in the next few months. Waiting can make sense if you're close to the end of a product cycle; but that's not the case with the 11" & 13" MBA.

For a laugh, see: Should I eat a brownie? Or wait?

7. minnus macrumors 6502

8. iTiki macrumors 6502

What he said:D

9. scarred macrumors 6502a

Well, I do hope they are worth the wait! Sandy and I are waiting for them together... we'll keep each other company until they arrive.

10. los318 macrumors 6502

los318

You know I've thought about this too. I know some are saying to stop thinking and just buy one but i'm in no hurry for now and can wait a few months. But I was thinking about grabbing a Ivy Bridge MBA (or Pro if redesigned soon) for my bday in March. The Haswell is stating a chip release in 2013 which could lead to late 2013 or early 2014 into any new laptops. That is my guess. So buying the next Air could do just fine for a few years (possibly) until you get the itch to upgrade. By then Haswell will be out in full force.

11. DieterRams macrumors regular

Will an Ivy Bridge Air really only be a few months out? Probably another five or more, maybe even eight, right? Or am I off? And even then, is the performance really that much better? The only thing that would get me to upgrade, most likely, is an increase of RAM to 8GB. Otherwise, perhaps raw benchmarks may prove to be lots better but I don't do enough super resource intensive tasks to probably notice. The most intensive stuff is probably just compiling code, which I suppose wouldn't be that much improved - anyone know if that is the case?

12. Goratrix macrumors regular

Ivy Bridge ULV is about a YEAR out, not "a few months".

13. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

The 10W reduction in power demands that Haswell offers, will go a long ways towards helping reduce operating temps. Heat is the enemy of electronics, so anything that reduces it, is welcome.

14. blunti macrumors 6502a

this.

15. calvol macrumors 6502a

I'm skipping the Sandy Bridge Air as well because its heat profile is too "peaky" with the current implementation of TurboBoost, ramping from 800MHz to 2900MHz for brief periods. It's kind of a poor man's way to increase performance at the expense of heat and battery life. My next Mac will be an Ivy MBP, and thereafter a Haswell Air.

16. VMMan macrumors 6502a

Why not wait for Intel's upcoming Golden Gate Bridge or even better, the Dental Bridge CPU?

There might even be a more efficient Todd Bridges or Jeff Bridges CPU (note the extra "s" after the Bridge).

17. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

If a new model MBA was shipping in a month or two and you have something to tide you over, I would wait. But there will be something better around the corner all the time so you could end up waiting for a long time... Just buy it.

18. deeddawg macrumors 604

Those the multi-core models? :)

19. los318 macrumors 6502

los318

no, those are the chips with the Flat Space technology, Dimension Compression. If you want to learn more about it, watch Ultraviolet

20. palpatine macrumors 68040

These posts always crack me up. Enjoy your waiting OP! I hear the processors in 2026 are really going to rock our world, so don't jump the gun with Haswell :)

21. halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    by which time Airs could well be powered by Apple's own ARM processor :cool:

22. dzigg macrumors member

I agree with whoever said that the current macbook air is just 2 months old..so now is pretty good time to buy one..

Seriously, this machine is the pinacle of my computing experience, lol.. it's so fast for everything I do currently.. granted I don't do much cpu intensive stuff..

23. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

Wow, I would love a 8 GB Ivy Bridge 13" MBA w/ a 320 - 512 SSD! That would be my ideal laptop. Some family member is going to receive a great slightly used machine when that machine appears as I am about to pull the trigger on the current 13" MBA. :cool: :apple:

24. KohPhiPhi macrumors 6502a

Having a 2010 MBA Ultimate, I decided to skip Sandy Bridge because I don't really need more processing muscle.

I will ONLY buy Ivy Bridge if there are new real improvements other than simply processing muscle: 8gb RAM, thinner bezel around the screen, etc. If not, I will skip Ivy Bridge too.

25. calvol macrumors 6502a

Same here. To upgrade from my 2010 Air, I'm looking for 8GB RAM, USB 3.0, 12 hr battery life, retina display, a lighter carbon-fiber body with better case ventilation, AND an SD slot that allows SD card full insertion (this is one thing I hate about the current model).