haswell air

Puevlo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2011
They'll be hectic. Energy savings would easily push the average battery life to 15 hours I reckon. Also faster.

arctic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2008
... tick... tock...

Let's just say, if you can afford to buy every couple of years, go for Intel's tock architecture: Sandy Bridge, Haswell, Skylake....

I'm eyes wide open for details but I've read at Uncle Tom's that Haswell will have a new "advanced power-saving system" that will make it uber efficient in comparison to its 22 nm Ivy Bridge sister. As for our Airs, I won't be surprised if Puevlo's battery figures are close due to the 15W TDP for the ULV processors (as opposed to the current 17W) while we'll see around 50% more GPU power according to this.

But knowing Intel, I wonder how many months will they delay this :p? I'd guess fall of 2013.

richlee111

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
... tick... tock...

Let's just say, if you can afford to buy every couple of years, go for Intel's tock architecture: Sandy Bridge, Haswell, Skylake....

I'm eyes wide open for details but I've read at Uncle Tom's that Haswell will have a new "advanced power-saving system" that will make it uber efficient in comparison to its 22 nm Ivy Bridge sister. As for our Airs, I won't be surprised if Puevlo's battery figures are close due to the 15W TDP for the ULV processors (as opposed to the current 17W) while we'll see around 50% more GPU power according to this.

But knowing Intel, I wonder how many months will they delay this :p? I'd guess fall of 2013.
Finally someone who is thinking on the same page as me:)

I always go for the "Tock" generation of technology, esp w/ hardware. If nothing else, there is always the risk of problems and issues found after release of a new architecture/platform, let alone the missed performance numbers on new gen stuff.

I'm not against Ivy Bridge, but for me it's more about the bang for the buck that Haswell will most likely provide vs. Ivy Bridge.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Agreed. Tock architecture is almost always much better. Not that anyone should be disappointed if they have to buy a computer and the tick is the newest thing out there...

At the same time thoguh, Sandy Bridge was one of the best improvements to the consumer CPU lineup since the Core 2 Duo first came out, so really you can't blame Intel for a disappointing Ivy Bridge update.

KPOM

macrumors G5
Oct 23, 2010
Agreed. Tock architecture is almost always much better. Not that anyone should be disappointed if they have to buy a computer and the tick is the newest thing out there...

At the same time thoguh, Sandy Bridge was one of the best improvements to the consumer CPU lineup since the Core 2 Duo first came out, so really you can't blame Intel for a disappointing Ivy Bridge update.
i wouldn't call it disappointing. It was a bigger deal than the change from Nehalem to Westmere.

PeterJP

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2012
Leuven, Belgium
1/20 platform power consumption in connected standby mode, that sounds okay :) And about 30% power reduction in normal operation over Sandy Bridge. I wouldn't get all excited about 15 hours of battery life during operation yet: 7 hours + 30% = 9 hours. But we might see way over one month of standby time.

I would agree with the "always buy tock" philosophy. And seeing that I just missed out on a well earning freelancing opportunity, I may have to wait until the next tock before I can finally enter the Mac universe, too :(

Peter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.