Haswell Graphics in 2013 rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Krauser, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Krauser macrumors regular

Just a quick question, but which version of Haswell's graphics can we look forward to seeing make its way into the 13" and 15" rMBP's upon the next refresh? I'm not fully aware/understanding of the way Intel intend to implement the different graphics portions of Haswell based on the models and thermals (like GT1, GT2, GT3, and the subsequent breakdowns of those like HD4600, HD5000, and HD5200).

So essentially, does anyone know which iGPUs are likely to make their way into the refresh of the Retina models? I assumed it was GT3, but I'm just curious.

2. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

We will know when they are released :) I think the next version is the HD7000, but I am not sure. Google will reveal all the rumors. I am not sure on the discrete GPU.
    Or maybe I am wrong, I searched for HD7000 and I don't see anything. My bad.

I'm guessing the GT3 version now that I educated myself ;)

3. Krauser thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I had always assumed it would be GT3 (as the other ones seem to be, from what I've read, for ultrabooks and tablets), but I read another article (anandtech I believe) which seemed to say that each GT variant had further breakdowns into multiple HD variants. So, for example, GT3 could have options for GT3 HD5000 and GT3 HD5200 variants, the latter of which is faster.

The only reason I ask is because they listed thermals and such for what each chip could run in, so I wasn't sure if an accurate guess could be made as to which one was feasible in the Retina's chasis with regards to thermals.

4. KPOM macrumors G5

I believe we'll see the HD4600 in the mobile Haswell chips. The GT3 will be for small-form desktop motherboards. Expect around 50% improvement over the HD 4000 (or about the same jump as we got from HD 3000 to HD 4000).

5. xVeinx macrumors 6502

I was under the impression from leaked slides/roadmaps/rumors that the GT3 variants would be much more expensive and be in lower supply. This might also have been due to inclusion (which may not actually happen) of on-die memory-I don't recall.

6. Macuser4154 macrumors newbie

I don't know where you got that, but that's completely wrong. GT3 graphics will ONLY be in laptops and ultrabooks. No desktop will have GT3 graphics. And the performance jump will definitely be greater than 50%. more like 75-80% more likely. Just hope Intel releases better drivers in order actually compete with Nvidia and AMD.

7. kensic macrumors 6502

So they decided to call it differently in Haswell. GT-3 instead of HD5000. that's cool i guess

8. KPOM macrumors G5

I thought that the ULV and standard LV chips that go into the Air and 13" Pro lines would only get GT2. Desktop-replacement notebooks would get GT3, and only GT3 would see double the performance of HD 4000.

9. nill1234 macrumors member

I just read an article about the upcoming Haswell generation. The upcoming graphics generation is twice as fast es the previous generation. At least this promises Intel. I think its 60-70% faster in real life Performance. But the other side of the increased graphics performance is a marginal increased (5%) processing power. I think its a good upgrade for the 13" Macbooks without any dedicated graphics.

10. LachlanH macrumors regular

I got the impression from reading/listening to Anandtech that the top end graphics for Haswell will come in 2 flavours. One with memory on-board and one with not.

The one with on-board memory would be significantly better (possibly double Ivy Bridge HD4000 performance) but the one without the memory might only be some 15%-20% better than the current HD4000.

It's probably too early to know for sure. However the CPU with the on-board memory was talked about as being priced significantly higher than a regular CPU so I would suspect Apple might have those CPU's only as BTO options or at least only in the high end 13" rMBP.

I think it's unlikely to see those top end chips in the MBA line, but it certainly would be good. A 13" Macbook Air with double the performance of current HD4000 is a very enticing prospect indeed.

Time will tell I guess.