Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apfelmann

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
at CES one 4K display after another is announced

so, a new Mac mini with upgraded GPU seems worth the wait more and more ...

I was about to buy the current i7 mini, but now with these quite cheap 4K displays coming, I will wait for the new mini

seems like the perfect combination: new Mac mini + new 4K display from DELL, ASUS or (APPLE)

Jambalaya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2013
UK
You could be waiting a long time for a Mini supporting 4K displays. I don't really see the benefit to Apple of making the Mini 4K compatible, keep that "top end" spec for Mac Pro and similar top end MBP and iMac's.

rndman

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2013

I was about to buy the current i7 mini, but now with these quite cheap 4K displays coming, I will wait for the new mini

seems like the perfect combination: new Mac mini + new 4K display from DELL, ASUS or (APPLE)

Yeah. I just bought the i7 mini and ASUS PB278Q.
Looking at these 4K display prices I am think like what the.. :mad:

----------

You could be waiting a long time for a Mini supporting 4K displays. I don't really see the benefit to Apple of making the Mini 4K compatible, keep that "top end" spec for Mac Pro and similar top end MBP and iMac's.

Music to my ears.. :D

apfelmann

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007

yeah, maybe they keep selling the current TB display at a cheaper price (for older non-4K-capable macs) and also don't give 4K power to the new mini ... but on the other hand, if the new mini supports 4K, APPLE can sell more of their upcoming 4K displays

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
yeah, maybe they keep selling the current TB display at a cheaper price (for older non-4K-capable macs) and also don't give 4K power to the new mini ... but on the other hand, if the new mini supports 4K, APPLE can sell more of their upcoming 4K displays

The problem with a 4k Mini is GPU. Iris Pro has demonstrated it can run 4k at 30hz but not without lag. The maxed out 15rMBP runs a dedicated GPU that will run the 4k without lag but still limited at 30hz unless in Windose boot where it can be set to 60hz. So the Mini will either require a dedicated GPU or the upcoming Broadwell chip.

Wahlstrm

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2013
Rev01 is a no go.

As a photographer I would love to have a 4K display.

I have spent alot of time the last month reading about all the UHD/4K screens available (Needed to spend some cash before 31dec) and my conclusion is that even if the prices seems to be going down fast, the tech is not really worth buying right now.

They need another year or two before the screens are worth investing in.
Today it´s more of a quick hack than a solid product.

To many ?? about standard resolution, retina scaling, compatible gpus, framrates and the some (all?) of the screens don´t even have proper scalers today.

When tech is new it´s almost always 2x performance @ 50% of the cost for the first 3-4 generations..

= Buy your 4K displays 2015/2016 for best value/performance.
The Mini will certainly support 4K by then :)

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island

I notice Dell's $699 offering, when at 4K only runs at the dismal refresh rate of 30Hz, that would be a deal breaker for me.

apfelmann

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
The problem with a 4k Mini is GPU. Iris Pro has demonstrated it can run 4k at 30hz but not without lag. The maxed out 15rMBP runs a dedicated GPU that will run the 4k without lag but still limited at 30hz unless in Windose boot where it can be set to 60hz. So the Mini will either require a dedicated GPU or the upcoming Broadwell chip.

Well, then I think APPLE won't update any Macs until Broadwell chips are available ... I think it would be unwise to release any new hardware that can't support APPLE's new super-duper amazing 4K TB Displays (which will surely be released in the coming months).

----------

= Buy your 4K displays 2015/2016 for best value/performance.
The Mini will certainly support 4K by then :)

Ha, with your advice in mind I could justify buying the current mac mini (without 4K support) ... although I know it will we updated pretty soon ;-)

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
As a photographer I would love to have a 4K display.

I have spent alot of time the last month reading about all the UHD/4K screens available (Needed to spend some cash before 31dec) and my conclusion is that even if the prices seems to be going down fast, the tech is not really worth buying right now.

They need another year or two before the screens are worth investing in.
Today it´s more of a quick hack than a solid product.

I agree 4K (and IGZO) displays are a waste of time & money.

Gidfd79

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2013

Their official and unofficial support always leaves some margin to play with though.

What I will find shameless is if they don't just add the drivers that the mbp uses anyway for scaling for the mini too, which would make the difference from having a scalable ui (finally) or using a display at a magnification that requires perfect vision, thus rendering it close to useless.

I've emailed them on this, that is that I expect them to add this feature, and I suggest everyone do the same. It's not such a big community of users for the mini, and they may listen at the end of the day.

Wahlstrm

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2013
Well, then I think APPLE won't update any Macs until Broadwell chips are available ... I think it would be unwise to release any new hardware that can't support APPLE's new super-duper amazing 4K TB Displays (which will surely be released in the coming months).

----------

Ha, with your advice in mind I could justify buying the current mac mini (without 4K support) ... although I know it will we updated pretty soon ;-)

Thats what I did, and in 12-18 moths I can sell it to someone who don´t care about 4K (95% of the worlds population?). The resell value of the mini is very often around 60-80% where i live.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.