Haswell MacBook Pro Retina hard drive failure?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MRG52, Dec 9, 2013.

1. MRG52 macrumors newbie

Hi All,

Shortly after launch, I purchased a new 13" retina haswell MacBook Pro with the 500GB ssd.

All was going well until over the last couple of days, I noticed, when using it for the first time after it had been put to sleep for a while (usually overnight), it would not wake from sleep and had to be switched on again using the power button.

When I came to use it tonight after work, I opened it and thought the same thing had happened. I turned it on, but this time it said it had run out of battery. This was odd because it was at 100% before going to bed yesterday. I plugged it in and turned it on, but this time when booting, the apple sign turned into a stop sign.

I have reset SMC and PRAM but still no joy. I then attempted to use Internet Recovery to re-install Mavericks, but when asked which drive to install it on, no drive showed up in the list.

After a trip to the Apple Store and some terrible customer service, I left with my broken Mac in hand having been told there was no-one there to even look at it.

Is this typical of hard drive failure, or is there something else I can try before going back to the Apple Store for another dose of helpful employees?

Thanks in advance.

2. FrozenDarkness macrumors 65816

i'm honestly surprised you had a bad experience at the apple store. i'm assuming you're out of the return period, but i'd try another apple store. what it sounds like is that there's something wrong with your logic board

3. MRG52 thread starter macrumors newbie

It's not out of warranty, it is only 6 weeks old.

As a bit of an update, it has been in a sleeve in sleep mode on the OS X recovery start page for the last couple of hours. Just taken it out of the sleeve and it is red hot, so switched it off immediately.

Any ideas?

Thanks

4. kastorff macrumors regular

kastorff

Yep. Don't run the machine inside a sleeve. Seriously changes the thermal dynamic of the cooling system.