Haswell MBA Hard Drive Recall Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by claythrow, Nov 1, 2013.

1. claythrow macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I got a late 2013 MBA, the first with the Haswell i7's. It has 8gb of ram but only 128gb of hard drive. Thats too little hard drive space for me, even though I have terabytes of space at home on servers.

The reason I bought this one is because it was among the models that has a recall on the SSD drives. I called Apple to confirm this and they said my serial does indeed fall under the recall and I could just bring it in and they would replace the SSD.

I then asked while they are replacing the SSD how much it would be to upgrade to a larger drive, they asked me to hold on, and then said to upgrade to the 512gb would be about $270 and the labor would be free as they are going to do it anyway. Great!!!

Called my local Mac store today to set it up and they said they cannot upgrade the drive, only replace it. That's the whole reason I bought this damn unit. I tried to get the guy to specify if they "can't" or "won't" and he made it seem like Apple will not allow them to do that.

Am I screwed? Is my plan foiled? I can put it up on Ebay and take a bath on it. I am computer savvy, built regular, liquid, phase computers etc. With these units is there something I personally can do to fix my problem? It has an SD slot for which I have a 128gb card, but that is still not enough. I was thinking once I was done, I would have 768gb with the card, not 256. Any help, ideas etc are welcomed.

2. AlecMyrddyn macrumors 6502

I thought the SSD replacement was for the pre-Haswell MBAs:

http://www.apple.com/support/macbookair-flashdrive/

What does the Apple Firmware Updater 1.1 say about your SSD?

If Apple Support approved the upgrade, call them again about it and tell them what the Apple Store person told you.

It's quite possible that the Apple Store doesn't have the 512 GB SSD available to do the swap, and you would need to have your system shipped back to Apple's Repair Center for the upgrade.

In the end, only Apple can tell you, not a bunch of other users.

3. claythrow thread starter macrumors newbie

Im pursuing that route right now, but wanted to know if I had any other options should that one fail. Like OWC or something. I've tried calling them and it just rings busy.

I'll tell you what the 1.1 update says in a few.

4. AlecMyrddyn macrumors 6502

OWC has announced they are working on PCIe SSDs for the Haswell MBA/rMBPs, but last I knew they haven't announced a release date. There are none available right now as far as I know except from Apple.

5. claythrow thread starter macrumors newbie

Ssd

What about the SSD in my wife's June 2013 MBA? i7 like mine, 4gb of memory though. 256gb ssd.

6. AlecMyrddyn macrumors 6502

Apple's website says the recall/replacement is for certain 64 and 128 GB SSDs only.

If your wife's MBA is pre-Haswell, the SSD can be upgraded, OWC has modules for sale.

7. claythrow thread starter macrumors newbie

I mean swapping her ssd for mine, but I see now that can't be done.

That 1.1 says something to the effect of "this software is not supported on your system"

??

8. AlecMyrddyn macrumors 6502

I think that means that your system is not covered under the recall, which is what I suspected.

If I were you, I'd call Apple Support back and see if they have some undocumented option where you can pay them for an SSD upgrade to your Haswell MBA and ship/courier your Mac to them for that purpose.

Other than selling your MBA and replacing it, or using external TB/USB storage, that's your only option until you can buy replacement PCIe SSDs or recover one from another Haswell system that has been damaged.

9. Meister Suspended

Meister

I know this isnt helping, but:
    You shouldve gotten the 256 over the 8gigs of ram in the first place.
    The 256 ssd is also faster than the 128ssd.