Haswell MBP Retina 15" - Metal clinking noise?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stuff99, Jan 2, 2014.

1. stuff99 macrumors 6502

Hi all,

I was just wondering if any of you have heard of the following problem?

Whenever I wobble slightly the laptop on my chest or lap in bed, I'd hear a slight and faint metal clink or tink noise near the trackpad area of my laptop. Has anyone heard or experienced of such a problem?

In fact, Im hearing this as I type this message. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!

2. elijahdl macrumors newbie

You are not alone. In the four weeks that I've had mine, I've heard a faint metal click a couple of times, both when I put a little bit of pressure in the center of the case bottom.

3. richard371 macrumors 68000

If I turn my late 15" mid model $2599 mbp over and push firmly around the macbook pro label it sounds like crap. It has this crunchy sound. My friend said his does too and I should be using it for other things rather then push on on the back. I told him that is my favorite feature lol. Anyway I just feel a 3K computer should be perfect. I may take it to Apple tomorrow but I don't want a samsung yellow screen replacement. My screen is white and bright for the most part. I do feel like there is a slight unevenness but it could be my OCD. The right side seems slightly warmer. I have no image retention at all. Its an LG.

4. Shmanky macrumors regular

I tried the same test. I turned my late-2013 over and pressed on the bottom case and it didn't creak. This unit I have now creaks only very little but my mid-2012 creaked a lot so I know what it sounds like and how terribly annoying it can be. The Genius Bar only reduced the creaking on my 2012 so you can't count on Apple fixing the problem. You could exchange it until you get one that doesn't creak and isn't yellow and doesn't have image retention. Or you can keep it and loosen the screws yourself but be careful not to strip the screws. Also this may not actually reduce the creaking. I think they all creak but to different degrees. I don't think it has been established what exactly is creaking.

5. richard371, Jan 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2014

richard371 macrumors 68000

Yea I'm torn. I don't want to have to spend a day reinstalling all my apps etc.
    I just feel with Apples QC lately esp screens, I may get something better or worse. At this point, based on what I've seen, I do not want a samsung screen. Also its hard to hear the creaks and see the screens in the brightly lit noisy Apple store. Problem is by the time I go online an order one of those impossible to get P5 pentalobe screwdrivers I will be past my return policy. Worse part is once I get that perfect screen and no creaks then I will get kernel panics indicating bad ram.

At the end of the day its not that bad its just the fact I feel a $3K freekin laptop should have no issues at all period.

Crap comes out of China in the millions and blows and I guess we need to learn to live with it. Im so tempted to return these machines and get the new Mac pro thats made in Texas. At least they are paid more the $10 a day!

6. stuff99 thread starter macrumors 6502

That's crappy but it's not like things made in America are the standard for quality these days either.

7. iStrikeRx macrumors newbie

Stick with what you have. Trust me.

I went through the same process with the ivy bridge rmbp before abandoning the system altogether.

My first Haswell was a samsung screen, and like many reported on here, it had the usual dark corners, unevenness etc, loads of creaking, and just wasn't a very good machine.

My replacement was an LG, and sounds exactly like the one you received. Slightly darker or warmer tone on the right side, and slight creak on the right side too.

It did creak all over at first, but reseating the back plate after I changed the thermal paste seemed to fix most of it. I think the cause here is that the screws are too loose (at least in my case). Over tightened screws are also a cause of it as well.

Now the thing people need to distinguish, is if the noise is actually creaking, or the sound of one of the thermal mechanisms within the macbook itself.

The place where the logo is, emits a clicky metallic sound because of this. You can fix it easily by opening the back cover and removing it.

There's a thread buried somewhere on here that goes into detail about how to do it. It doesn't affect the running of the machine at all and is perfectly safe to do.

If it's the sound I'm thinking of, then you will almost certainly hear this ticking when the system is under heavy load and the casing temperature is increased significantly. Usually this causes a constant ticking noise till the machine cools down, without the user even touching the computer itself.

It's very annoying, but is easily fixable for those who have a pentalobe lying around.

8. stuff99 thread starter macrumors 6502

How do you find out if you have a Samsung or LG screen?

9. Nik macrumors 6502a

Image Retention may show after a longer period of use. Mine showed IR after 1 hour of showing a single image. But this effect will increase, therefore I sent it back. Got a new one with a Samsung Screen. No IR. Perfect Screen. NO yellow tint!

As for the strange sounds coming from the case: Mine makes the exakt same noise when pressed around the MacBook Pro print. The CPU and its heatsink sit in this area (http://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/jjGHKlpIteBKbe5P). It may be the spring loaded screws of the heatsink which make this noise.

10. richard371 macrumors 68000

I took the back off and discovered there are about 10 to 15 spring loaded merl grounding pins the is the source. I have a thread with pic on this.