Haswell Refresh at Best Buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mickey-gem, Aug 4, 2014.

1. mickey-gem macrumors newbie

I was just on Best buy's Website and They have MacBook Pro's listed as "New" models. The description indicates that this model has a new 5th generation intel chip. Is this considered the" Haswell Refresh"? It looks like
    the older models are slightly discounted.

2. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Yes, the one's listed as "new" are indeed the 2014 refreshes.

3. mickey-gem thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh very cool, that's good news, glad to hear this. I wish they would
    provide more "details" regarding the specs. It is so vague when viewing
    the small amount of info provided.

Does anyone know the areas of increased performance on this refresh?

4. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Processor speeds were bumped by .02 which is really not noticeable in everyday tasks. They also increased the amount of ram in the base models.

Honestly, the 2013 models are a better deal now that they are discounted. Example, you can get a 2013 13 inch model with 8gb of ram and a 256ssd for less than a 2014 13 inch with 8gb of ram and only 128ssd. Everything else is the same except the .02 speed increase which as I said is hardly worth it.

5. mickey-gem thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, That was my thought as well the 2013 seems a better deal. I can agree that it is essentially the same machine and I would rather save a little
    money.

As I recall on the 2013 13 inch model there was a major difference in SSD speed performance when you went from the base model 128 SSD to the 256 SSD. Do you think that would still be applicable in the upgraded models?

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes it will. That said, I have the 128GB and am perfectly happy with the drive speed. Unless you are sitting there doing tests with a stopwatch, you won't notice the difference.

7. EShef macrumors newbie

I have the 2014 base model 13". At best buy, it was the same price for the new 8gb/128 and the 2013 8gb/256.

Went with the newer model even though, as far as I know, there are no other differences besides the 200mhz CPU bump. For my use, I went with the CPU bump. I have access to external/cloud storage and I just wanted the "newest".