Haswell Retina Macbook Pro... buy at launch? Or wait a while to avoid issues?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Starfyre, Oct 15, 2013.


Will you get the new Retina Macbook Pro immediately once available?

  1. Yes! I've waited for too long to wait any longer.

    79 vote(s)
  2. No! I will wait until reviews are in or to make sure no issues come up.

    28 vote(s)
  1. Starfyre, Oct 15, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2013

    Starfyre macrumors 68030


    Nov 7, 2010
    When the retina macbook pro is released, many can breathe a sigh of relief.... "FINALLY!" Now the question is, who is actually going to buy one immediately when available? Or will you wait until the reviews are in and make sure there are no issues with the first production run?
  2. twisdit macrumors member

    Apr 26, 2012
    Washington DC
    ive waited too long for haswell to wait again.. :mad:
  3. KennyX macrumors newbie

    Dec 31, 2002
    hell no. Made the huge mistake of being an early adopter of the first rMBP last summer. I can wait 4-6months until they get the kinks out.

    Not worth the trouble.
  4. 53kyle macrumors 65816


    Mar 27, 2012
    Sebastopol, CA
    Yes, and then wait for the next next model to have the problems ironed out too, because by the time we know that ALL problems are gone the next one will be right around the corner and another thread like this will come up. ;)
  5. PDFierro macrumors 68040

    Sep 8, 2009
    I don't see what there is to wait for. It'll be the 2nd-gen, and while it might have some problems, that would be minor.

    Most of us have waited too long already. I'm buying right away.
  6. NickPhamUK macrumors 6502


    May 6, 2013
    Wait for rMBP early 2014 "refresh" because rMBP late 2013 has issues.
    Wait for rMBP late 2014 because rMBP early 2014 has issues.
    Wait for rMBP early 2015 "refresh" because rMBp late 2014 has issues.

    You might as well wait for MBP "Hyper" 2089 with core j7383 1024 TBz 128 TB RAM with Samsung 2048 TB SSD.
  7. BigJohno macrumors 65816

    Jan 1, 2007
    San Francisco
    Hell just stop looking at technology... haha
  8. KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

    Jun 8, 2007
    Saratoga, CA
    I bought the 15" rMBP as soon as I could get it and it worked out fine. Initially, it crashed frequently, but after a couple of OS updates that was resolved. After a few months, I experienced signifiant image retention. I brought it into an Apple store and they swapped the LG display for a Samsung display in a couple of days.

    Since then everything has been great. I certainly wouldn't have wanted to wait for 6 months for the early 2013 update to upgrade from my 2007 MBP.
  9. aiom macrumors member

    Jul 26, 2013
    I will wait for the first youtube reviews... and then decide if to go with:

    a) Retina + dGPU
    b) Retina + iGPU
    c) Non-Retina + dGPU
    d) Non-Retina + iGPU

    - if all these choices exist :eek:

    Besides we will not know if the Retina display comes for the pure Haswell with iGPU, as benchmarks from anandtech have proven that the iGPU is not that great and especially sucks on larger resolutions than 1366x768. Given this as fact, I expect an even lower price.
  10. helloes macrumors newbie

    Oct 3, 2013
    Honestly, it's so brutally delayed that I may just wait for the new macbook air. The only reason I'm not buying the macbook air now is because the tragically bad resolution the screen has.
  11. lcseds macrumors 6502a

    Jun 20, 2006
    NC, USA
    Jeez, all the screens looked great a year and a half ago. It's like nobody can use a computer now without a retina display. My MBA 13" has a great looking display. Tragically bad? lol
  12. CausticPuppy macrumors 65816

    May 1, 2012
    And even this model will have WiFi connectivity issues reported by some users.
  13. Starfyre thread starter macrumors 68030


    Nov 7, 2010
    a) Retina + dGPU [15 inch]
    b) Retina + iGPU [13 inch]
    c) Non-Retina + dGPU [15 inch]
    d) Non-Retina + iGPU [13 inch]
  14. PDFierro macrumors 68040

    Sep 8, 2009
    It might suck for gaming on resolutions that high, but Iris Pro is going to be able to drive the Retina display perfectly fine.
  15. thundersteele macrumors 68030

    Oct 19, 2011
    I voted that I would wait - a few weeks, until Anandtech and other reviews are out. I don't actually need an upgrade at the moment, so whether I buy one will also depend on performance and new features.
  16. twingo macrumors regular

    Jul 3, 2009
    It was Apples work to avoid issues. When they bring the new machine, they should have done their work. The rest will be covered by the guarantee.
    So why wait any longer?
  17. spaceballl macrumors 68030


    Nov 2, 2003
    San Francisco, CA
    Assuming they don't change the overall design, it's just going to be a pretty simple internal upgrade from the current pro - i'd buy right away. Let's hope they add thunderbolt 2 and fix the creaking hinge of my current generation laptop!
  18. helloes macrumors newbie

    Oct 3, 2013

    Someone's butt-hurt. The haswell macbook air release was a scandal in terms of screen quality. There were no premium ultrabooks that were released at that time with anywhere near as poor of a screen. It's good that you're happy with your screen, but don't think for one second that the MBA isn't way past due for a screen update.
  19. opinio macrumors 65816

    Mar 23, 2013
    I say buy ASAP as they (Apple) usually come out with a fix fairly quickly to problems early on anyway. Having said that, it took them a long time to fix the HDMI issue on the 2012 mini.
  20. OneCharmingQuar macrumors member

    Sep 19, 2013
    I would wait for reviews. The main tech sites tend to be pretty quick with Macbooks, so that shouldn't take very long.
  21. ValSalva macrumors 68040


    Jun 26, 2009
    Burpelson AFB
    Everything new has issues. The vast, vast majority are fixed with software.

    It's true that some of the new rMBP's from last year had image retention issues. But this time around I would expect Apple to have remedied that. The rMBP is now a generation two product. And with these extra months of delay, and already releasing Haswell MacBook Airs, one would hope/expect Apple to have the Haswell rMBP's solid.
  22. lcseds macrumors 6502a

    Jun 20, 2006
    NC, USA
    Mine isn't a Haswell, it's a 2011. Once calibrated it looks great. A calibration anyone can do. I doubt the screen was changed for the worse. Due for an update? Sure, you bet. Retina would be great. But you are obviously not an owner or have tried one calibrated.
    Maybe you read too many forums?
  23. Starfyre thread starter macrumors 68030


    Nov 7, 2010
    How do you calibrate the screen?
  24. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000


    Feb 9, 2011
    on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    The air screen is by no means tragic, rMBP is leaps and bounds ahead, can't really compare the two. Now a 4k display would be well worth the wait!
  25. yliu macrumors regular

    Jun 15, 2009
    There should be relatively less issues as this not a major refresh.

Share This Page