Haswell & Retina

Discussion in 'iMac' started by driftless, Jul 29, 2012.

1. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

I know that there is a lot of wailing & whining and pent up demand waiting for the '12 refresh for the iMac. I am one of those waiting to see what Apple releases although I am beginning to think about skipping this upgrade, assuming it is just a refresh, and waiting for a redesign incorporating Haswell and Retina, presumably in fall '13. Either Haswell and Retina would be reason enough for me to upgrade again in '13. Anyone else considering skipping the '12 refresh?

2. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Somewhat depends what comprises the 2012 refresh! I think a redesign would make a few people consider upgrading.

3. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

No

Haswell only really matters with portables. For desktops we're going to get discrete GPU anyways so I don't want to wait.

I want USB 3.0 and faster procs. I don't really need Retina on a desktop yet.

4. sukai macrumors regular

Those that can wait should, those tha cannot and just want the 2012 will not wait longer.

5. Major.Robto macrumors 6502

faster cpu would be nice, I could care less about retna display I doubt my bugget would be able to aford one then,

6. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

If I were using a 2009 I'd consider waiting for 2013's. Since I'm using a 2007, I'm just buying whatever Apple puts out next.

7. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

Im on a 2009, but I'll buy whatever they release now. If they do a mac pro kinda release I will be sour but ill buy it. At least then I know I can't expect anything more for a while. Now I know something is up and I need a new on badly, but since they are way over due Im not buying the 2012 unless there's not anything else to do about it. Retina, don't care, dont even know if I really want it to be honest.

8. iMacFarlane macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

I have a 2009 iMac, and have been eager to get a new 27" model this year. But, I lost the iMac, and now have a new base model 13" 2012 MBP. I'm now pretty happy to carry on as is, and will probably skip the refresh!

I think Apple is in some sort of transition right now, and they are mistreating their desktop and professional user base. I am now more than content to let them sort out whatever is at the core of their problems, and will return as an anxious and happy custormer sometime in 2013 when they release the Haswell-based iMac (top specced biggest screen, whatever that may be).

Mazel Tov!

9. Confuzzzed macrumors 68000

Confuzzzed

Maybe it's time for Apple to break itself up. Spin out the computer hardware business and let the iToys business spin itself into a frenzy (and this comes from someone that does like their iToys but not at the expense of his computers)

10. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

No way. At least for me, what I love most about my iToys (I have an iPhone to my left and an iPad to my right as I type on my iMac) is that it's all integrated and synced. If iOS became a different company, it would probably lose its close tie to Mac.

Besides, much of Mac growth the past few years as been driven by iToy halo effects.

11. Confuzzzed macrumors 68000

Confuzzzed

I agree with much of what you say in your post in your post re. integration particularly, but on the point above specifically, the GROWTH has come because of the iToy halo effect BUT has the QUALITY been affected as a result? Now Lion for me was fine (but that's because I had relatively new machines) but for a lot of people it was the worst OS Apple ever released. Add to that all the bugs with seemingly every redesign that Apple ever release these days and it begs the question. Has Apple lost its focus on the computer lines?

12. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Lion is interesting. It's a case study that not all innovation results in design wins. Now, it works fine for me too, after I bumped my 2007 to 4GB. I fought with the WiFi for a bit until I understood that it was keychain corruption and got it permanently sorted. But methinks those that think Lion is the worst Apple OS ever have a short memory, and don't recall System 6 or Mac OS 9. They also don't recall that OS X 10.0 (Cheetah) was such a giant pile of bugs and chaos that 10.1 (Puma) was a free upgrade.

A lot of the stuff that failed in Lion has been undone in Mountain Lion. So I think they're listening, they're trying, and they're just not perfect. Human recollection of the past tends to be more extreme (either positive or negative) than reality.

13. Confuzzzed macrumors 68000

Confuzzzed

Don't get me wrong. I like Lion. But can't ignore all those who didn't. And so far, I like ML even better.