Haswell rMBP 13" - is 4g ram enough?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Zephyer, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Zephyer macrumors member

Heya.

I generally thought the base model (which i want to get instantly from the store) will have 8g of ram. as it turns out, it has 4g.

Would you say that would be enough for the average user? (some coding, some browsing, occasional virtual machine, etc).

Thanks!

2. actuallyinaus macrumors regular

with a vm (50/50) split, you could easily go over the 2gb ram

4gb = web browsing / documents, if you close other programs you are not using
    8gb = higher usage, lots of tabs, about one vm, leave other programs open when not using
    16gb = power user, multiple vms..

however there is a benefit to having too much ram, as the computer will keep unneeded/old data in the ram in case you need it again soon - this is much faster than loading from ssd

3. ToyGun1 macrumors 6502

You be better off going for 8Gb ram if you decide to keep your machine for a couple of years.

4. radiohead14 macrumors 6502a

i got the same concerns.. but i think i'm gonna go for 8gb, since i'll be installing windows 7 in it also for some gaming. bummer it's only 4gb.. was really hoping 8gb would be the standard

5. Zephyer thread starter macrumors member

If they had the 8gigs in the store i wouldnt even open this thread :) but i guess i should see how long it would take to get the CTO one.

6. cstm macrumors regular

remember that the igpu eats part of that 4gb up to 1gb

7. radiohead14 macrumors 6502a

really? ok, then i'm sold on 8gb

8. mrweirdo macrumors 6502

I noticed that as well. I'm considering purchasing the 13" with 16GB Ram myself since its not user upgradable in the future.

9. khoward1972 macrumors newbie

10. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

I wouldn't leave my house without 64GB ram in my MBP

11. Idarzoid macrumors 6502

Depends, if browsing and emailing are all you're going to be doing, then it's kinda overkill.

For tasks like rendering (you'll want something with a decent GPU though), massive RAW photos processing, video editing, you'll want to go with as many RAM as you can get.

12. AlecMyrddyn macrumors 6502

There are three "standard" 13" rMBP models that should be in the store:

2.4/4/128 $1299
    2.4/8/256 $1499
    2.6/8/512 $1799

Again, all three of these should be in the store.

BTO would be if you started with one of the above and upgraded the processor, ram or storage from what you see listed.

13. justin216 macrumors 6502

justin216

If you have really basic needs, 4GB would be fine. Then again, a MacBook Air (or iPad) would probably meet that use case too.

If you're planning to do more day-to-day work on it and multitask with several apps, I'd go for the 8GB BTO upgrade. If nothing else, it would help future-proof you and let you grow into the machine.

In my mind, the 4GB model exists for the same reason car manufacturers have low starting prices on advertisements -- get people in the door with the low perceived cost, then show them options for up-sell to add value/functionality.

14. bottled macrumors newbie

I had a 2011" MBA up until recently and did tons of multitasking, windows development on a vm, photoshop, etc without any slow down at all -- with "just" 4GB of RAM. There used to be moments where I'd have windows 8 running, a massive keynote being projected with videos playing with no hiccups at all. I think you'll be fine unless you chose to do some high intensive stuff all at the same time.

15. justin216 macrumors 6502

justin216

The thing is, in 2011, 4GB was the most you could get on an Air. That would be akin to saying back then that you should have gotten 2GB. As time goes on, apps get heavier, and use cases may change/expand. I just don't know that I could recommend anyone buying a Mac with less than 8GB of RAM, if only for resale value alone.

16. stract macrumors member

Is 16 GB overkill? I want my laptop to be able to handle the next 5 years, so I'm very interested in future-proofing since I can't do aftermarket upgrades...

17. justin216 macrumors 6502

justin216

If you're concerned about longevity, I'd get it. The cost over 60 months of use is pretty moot.

18. Zephyer thread starter macrumors member

Yep, just looked at the web store - they did seem to make a 8g model sort of 'baseline' so i can pick that up at the store! so happy :)