Haswell rmbp issue.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by derek916, Oct 29, 2013.

1. derek916 macrumors member

I received my new retina macbook pro on thursday, this is my first mac I've ever owned and it is the 15 inch 2.3ghz model. What I am noticing is a pretty inconsistent issue, the first being where my palms rest when the machine i believe has warmed a bit the case starts making creaking noises when pressure is applied , the second being the letter 'h' on my keyboard sometimes randomly squeaks along with a few others i belive which i can't pin point since it is so random. I scheduled a genius appointment on wednesday but am worried since those are both inconsistent issues what they will say, i recorded a video on my phone when the creaking was bad that i will show if it comes down to it , i just don't feel good about accepting these issues after how much money i just spent on this notebook, I would love a replacement because i don't really want my 5 day old computer being ripped apart already. Any recommendations for when I go to the genius bar ? Im really hoping the person I deal with is understanding which I think they should be if I'm 5 days in on this computer. Thanks guys

2. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

If you bought it on Thursday then you are still within your 16 Day return period meaning you can return the machine for any reason at all, even if you just didn't like it.

So when you go to the Apple Store simply ask for a replacement.

3. derek916 thread starter macrumors member

I bought it online if that makes any difference , also if i ask for a replacement within the 14 or 16 day period will they attempt to fix mine before ?

4. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

In that case you can return it back to the online store for a replacement. But really I'd recommend you give Apple a call or at-least try their free online chat support system they can better answer your queries than we can and they're faster too! :)

5. Beezy253 macrumors 6502

IMO, you should bring the box/receipt, and if they don't acknowledge the issues, return the computer on the spot.

a 5 day old computer should not be in for repairs.

If you ordered online, and they claim you need to return to the online store, have them setup the return for you in-store (they ship it back to Apple returns department for you).

If they claim they can't setup the return for you, call Apple and set it up over the phone while you're still there, so you don't need to make an extra stop to FedEx/UPS.

6. derek916 thread starter macrumors member

Ok i'll be sure and bring the receipt and packaging to the store , I hope this works out I hate making this drive to the apple store.

7. N3ILA macrumors member

N3ILA

Last night I went to the Apple store to exchange my one day old new MacBook Pro. When I walked in the Apple store I was greeted I said hello and that I was there to exchange my MacBook Pro and I didn't have a genius appointment because there weren't any available. He said no problem asked which model and asked if I wanted to exchange it for the same version I said yes. He asked what issues the one I had was having, so I told him the issues were that the display when closed doesn't make contact with the left sides top case. Also I had two yellow spots on the display lower left and the whole right side. He said no problem asked if I had the receipt which I did he replied great the replacement is on its way up to me. 30 seconds later another employee dropped off the replacement. The greeter scanned the two MacBook Pros and said we owe you $89 due to the tax difference. I said awesome, which I asked if I could get magic mouse and the rest on a gift card he said of course. The whole process took just under 10 mins. The best Apple store experience of my life. Replacement has faint yellow tint and calibrated better than the first screen. Both Samsungs

8. Beezy253, Oct 29, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2013

Beezy253 macrumors 6502

Yup, even if it's a 10 minute drive, it's still a waste of time/energy.

After having problems with my Classic Macbook, Classic Macbook Pro, Where both systems had to be replaced… the cMB was actually replaced 3 times before I got one that was 100%. (got a free iPod/Accessories out of it, so they took care of me), I just know I wil NEVER buy a computer from Apple on launch day/week.

Other products, I don't mind buying on launch day because, With iPads, iPods, iPhones, Accessories, Apple will exchange them on the spot.

But with computers, they give you the run around while they try to "look" for a fix… then if theres something to possibly fix, they waste your time trying to fix it, only to have to replace the entire system after months of BS repairs.