Haswell/USB 3.0 Glitch

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by adjeff8, Mar 20, 2013.

1. adjeff8 macrumors 6502

adjeff8

Can this be real? Just wanted to get the opinion of a person more in the "Know" than I am. For those who haven't heard the reports coming out, apparently there's a minor glitch in the first batch of Haswell chips that will be shipped where when you put your computer to sleep then wake it up, the devices connected to the USB don't wake up and you have to restart that device.
    At least that's how I'm understanding it

http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/in...in_low_volume_until_usb_3_issue_is_fixed.html

1st- will this first batch include the rMBP, or are the desktops getting it first?
    2nd-wouldn't you think that 3 months might be enough time to work this minor glitch out?
    3rd-Why would Apple risk releasing the units with a glitch in the new, widely anticipated chip? Every little thing or glitch involved with a Apple product gets put under a microscope and gets blown way out of proportion, as in antennagate and the battery issues with the iPhone, why would Apple knowingly set themselves up to be mercilessly hammered in the media, then have to replace the chips or units sold when the next chips appear because the first batch machines will still be under warranty?

Is this all about nothing?

2. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Yes its real and you must not have used the search button for the myriad of other Haswell threads that mention this.. :rolleyes:

3. Crzyrio, Mar 20, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2013

Crzyrio macrumors 65816

Apple will release late summer and get dibs on first good batch of chips.

If not, Ill be buying it anyways. With the ssds restarting is as good as waking from sleep

4. bbapps macrumors regular

You know I've been wondering about this too and exactly where this story came from and whether Intel has actually commented. You know how one site writes up a story and before you know it, every site on the internet is referencing that story.

Best I can tell, "Tech Trader Daily" started this with a quote from JoAnne Feeney a chip analyst with Longbow Research.

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2013/03/13/intc-desktop-trends-weakening-says-longbow/

If anybody has any more direct information then please share; like a statement from Intel or at least someone quoting somebody other than JoAnne Fenney.

Just can't believe Intel would make a statement like, it's a nuisance and we are going release anyway just in low numbers.

Edit....
    At least xbitlabs references Tech Trader Daily:
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20130313235600_Intel_to_Launch_Core_i_Haswell_Platform_in_Cautious_Volumes_Because_of_USB_3_0_Issues_Analyst.html

5. adjeff8 thread starter macrumors 6502

adjeff8

Actually I read this forum religiously and besides several comments posted by me I haven't seen too much on this subject. A couple of references on the "When will Haswell come out" thread but that's about it. That's why I've just dedicated a thread to this issue. The first of its kind. I hope it wasn't too taxing on you.

6. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

no its annoying, and i think that we should have mods merging threads about the same thing, haswell and when it will come out

thats exactly what this thread is. Only with the spin of not worrisome at all usb 3.0 alleged issue.

you might have forgotten that SB suffered from a similar issue, the pch on some revs, and on some chipsets was given sata a higher possibility to fail, that made the launch of machines late.

if you count that apple actually was the first to release the new line without the problematic chipsets, may give you a clue to when haswell will be out.

7. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Interesting. First time i'm hearing about this. I guess it will be like the Sandy Bridge incident. Intel will revamp the chips quickly and then ship them out to OEMs.

8. adjeff8 thread starter macrumors 6502

adjeff8

No. Can't forget something I never knew. This is my first laptop purchase since 2009, so I don't know anything about the SB thing. So you see, I'm getting good info here. So glad I posted. And the guy below you says he knew nothing about this issue. So this thread is serving a purpose. There are other people here besides yourself, so just bear with it bro.

I mean, I could have just added it to one of the other Haswell threads, but I want the USB issue to catch people eyes. Hence it's very own thread

9. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

its called spamming, and we arent certain that is really an issue. its tracked to 1 site, and its really not that reliable. Actually no one is making a fuss about it

10. AceMason macrumors regular

For me, the USB glitch thing isn't even a big deal, were it to be true. I'd buy the new rMBP anyways.

11. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I think you mean dibs, but that is unlikely. Most of the time they start to ship around the same time as others. On really minor bumps like the 2.3 to 2.4 Ivy to Ivy bump in a couple of the rmbps, they often lag behind. You can look at prior years if you don't believe me.

12. Raima macrumors 6502

Haswell is scheduled to be released in June. Apple has not announced when it will include these chips. Why are people worrying about these issues that we have no influence over?

13. vatter69 macrumors 6502a

vatter69

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1556714

----------

So they can decide if its worth waiting for Haswell (lol) or wait for Broadwell (rofl) or Skymount (dying).

14. angle macrumors regular

Funny....I thought the name of the site was MacRUMORS...not MacRELIABLEINFORMATION

Who knew? :confused:

15. adjeff8 thread starter macrumors 6502

adjeff8

That's very good to hear.

16. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

oh wait, i heard a rumor that apple is going to be sold to sony, and they are going to make the iphony their number one product

one thing is to ask something about something you heard or share that. The other thing is spamming endless threads, this was covered on those threads, and received the same I dont care response

17. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Apple will probably just wait for the first revision or fix it in software.
    It seems to me that such a little glitch should be fixable. USB works for the most part and it only needs to wake up after standby. Well all that is needed is a script that reinitializes the device after standby and 99.9% of the time people won't even notice the little delay.
    It seems more like a problem that would show on Windows unless MS would offer a special patch just for the hardwareconfig of this very specific chip in this one stepping. Apple could just fix that I think with a patch well enough so nobody really complains if they want to be quicker to market.
    I suspect most other manufacturers will not care too much and Microsoft won't release a patch for one stepping only if Intel promises that it will only be sold limited until the next stepping.

18. adjeff8 thread starter macrumors 6502

adjeff8

Thanks Dusk007-That was truly helpful. Thanks for taking the time to explain that.

19. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

That last one was a movie that came out a while ago. Oh wait, I think it was a video game, right?