Haswell vs Crystalwell

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Rchawks, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Rchawks macrumors member

I thought Haswell referred to the new processor in the 13" and Crystalwell
    referred to the new processor for the 15" MacBook Pro w ret. But some vendor sites such as macmall are listing updated specs in the 15" mp as Haswell, why? Is this a typo on their part or a misunderstanding on my part.

2. Dj64Mk7 macrumors 6502a

All MacBooks that were refreshed in 2013 contain Haswell processors. If everything goes normally, this years refreshes should Broadwell processors.

3. Rchawks, Jan 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2014

Rchawks thread starter macrumors member

I think I found it.

On Apple’s current Retina MacBook Pro line, both the $1999 and $2599 standard configuration models use the Iris Pro integrated graphics, equipped with Crystalwell. The $2599 model is the only one in the line that has both an integrated Iris Pro and a discrete Nvidia GeForce GT 750M with 2GB of GDDR5 memory. The $2599 laptop can automatically switch between the integrated and discrete graphics, depending on the task at hand. The 13-inch Retina MacBook Pros do not offer Iris Pro/Crystalwell graphics, only Iris graphics.

Btw Dj64Mk7 thank you for the heads up on Broadwell, because of your response I did some digging :D

4. luckydcxx macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

Haswell is the processor. Crystalwell works with Haswell in upgraded iris pro models.

"Crystalwell is the codename of the L4 cache (eDRAM) featured in the Iris Pro-enabled Haswell CPUs."
    http://www.macworld.com/article/2059743/what-is-crystalwell-.html

Here is the link to Intel's roadmap of processors ...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Tick-Tock

There are two successors to Broadwell already in the works; Skylake and Cannonlake.