Haswell vs Skylake negligible difference?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by moltar, Mar 21, 2016.

1. moltar macrumors newbie

I, like everyone else was also extremely disappointed yesterday after wasting an hour watching that crappy announcement, but for me personally, I just want power. And after doing some research I found out that Haswell is on par with current Skylake processors and sometimes even more powerful. Since no benchmark has come for the in Skull Canyon (i7 6770hq) yet, is there anyone out there who has a clue as to how much of a difference there could be between this and the 6700hq you find in most pc laptops? If I just want raw power and don't care about power consumption or graphics, then couldn't I just buy the current haswell macbook pro 15" instead? I could even buy a used 2014 one and save some money... What do you guys think? (I will use it for live music performance)

2. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Skylake is 2 gens newer than Haswell. It is better, if you compare a similar line of chip. However, a quad-core Haswell will still beat a dual-core Skylake, etc. It's better, but it's not an overwhelming advantage.

Your used 2014 purchase idea is a good one. Really no point to get the 2015 version, unless you really like the new trackpad.

3. PTLove macrumors 6502

If you don't care about GPU, Skylake is only ~10% faster clock for clock.

4. mateo124 macrumors regular

The 6700HQ and 6770HQ are the same processor, with the exception of the iGPU. I can almost guarantee you in a CPU benchmark the scores will be identical, if that is what you're asking. The top of the line Haswell available in the 15" can beat out entry level Skylakes, that's not really surprising. If you're just looking for performance, I'd just go with a higher-end 15" now, and it'll probably end up costing you less than the entry level Skylake whenever they decide to release them.

5. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

CPU-wise you're not going to notice much of a difference. The biggest jumps between these types of chips has been the onboard GPU and the power efficiency.

6. moltar thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, this has cleared up things a bit for me!