hate Lion's Mail, how can i get Mail 4.0 back ?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by macchiato2009, Jul 23, 2011.

1. macchiato2009 macrumors 65816

hi there

i dislike Mail 5.0 with its iOS look

how can i get the old Mail back ?

thanks

2. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

mail preferences
    viewing tab
    tick use classic layout

think thats the best you can do

3. macchiato2009 thread starter macrumors 65816

4. marsmissions macrumors 6502

marsmissions

Do you dislike it's functionality, or just how it looks...

Because it sounds to me like you're just looking for things not to like!

5. moonchilddave macrumors regular

I didn't care for the new look of Mail either... so thanks! To me, it just reminded me too much of Outlook.

6. moderngamenewb macrumors 6502

I noticed that too. It looked so much like outlook. I like the classic view better as well.

7. dudeabiding macrumors 6502

dudeabiding

I like the side by side viewing. I had a tweak that did that (Letterbox?), but now it's native. I'm not thrilled by the icons, but I'm getting used to them. I've had no issues with functionality so far.

8. Mitchelino macrumors 6502

I love the new Mail app; I work a lot with emails and find the new layout better suits my needs. Great that they have a classic view for those who need/want it, though. :)

9. Nuckinfuts macrumors 6502

Honestly, conversations in Mail5 are horrible, I importated my gmail and it didn't read any of the conversation data correctly except who was participating, and even then it hid all my sent messages initially

10. Romanesq macrumors 6502a

Romanesq

getting too rigid?

because I felt like I was missing the list of things in classic mode and not able to see everything as clearly available as I liked it.

Really did, so the choice is good.

Heaven help me if I can figure out how to reduce the screen size of the application again. lol

Now can we get expose back?

11. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

personally, i think once you start to organize it...it's great.
    i hid my folders on the left (i have 6, with several subfolders each), and put them in the favorites bar. easy access.

i move emails with control-click (to chosen folders). i even added pictures (an option in the new mail) instantly from my address book, so i have a visual connection to a lot of my email.

like all new things, if you give it a little time, you adapt. and i think a: change is good, and b: down the line, the 'classic' option will disappear, and we'll all have to move forward...

just a rant!

12. tomdolan macrumors newbie

Mail 5.0

I have switched to classic mode, but the threads and the way that they are shown are causing me lots of problems. Mainly I miss emails that should be easily visible. I much prefer seeing them in chronological order so I don't miss any. I've also found myself unintentionally replying to an email when I mean to compose a new one. Soemone mentioned IOS; I'm fine with how threads are shown on my iPhone. Something about mail 5.0 really infuriates me. I just turned OFF "show most recent message at top," so since I show all my messages with latest at the bottom, that is at least less incongruous and counterintuitive. Looks like this will help.

13. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

What on Earth are you complaining about? With Mail 5.1 aka Lion Mail, you have all of the display options that you had going back more than a decade with MacOS X 10.0 Mail. Organizing by conversation is a new option, but it takes away nothing from earlier options. This option is enabled or disabled using a single menu selection. As for the time ordering of messages, it is as it has always been. You may toggle between chronological order and reverse chronological order with a single mouse click. It has been ever thus.

Learn how to use your software.