Hate my macbook more by the day

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Billy Bob, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Billy Bob macrumors regular

Alright i have posted before on the long sauga of problems with my macbook. Anyway I'm just here to report my latest frustration, a couple months I had the notorious cracking keyboard. Anyway I bit the bullet and payed the rediculous sum of money that mac wanted for a new one as I was out of warrenty. Well but a few minutes ago I was cleaning my keyboard and what do I discover, but the new one is cracking exactly in the same spot as the old one. I am so angry right now I would like to sell this computer right now and never buy another mac, but I am resisting though as I don't want to spend anymore money right now and in order to sell this and get get something decent from another maker I'd almost certainly have to throw in 3-5 hundred dollars. My other reason for not jumping ship immediately is that I like mac's operating systems, unfortunately that alone may not be enough to keep me loyal to them. How can they dare make a laptop which is made to be transported and used regularly so pathetically weak? Then go ahead and charge 1500 dollars for it? this is nothing short of criminal in my view.

2. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Even with all its defects, if you sell it on eBay, you can easily make enough to buy a new, fully functional PC laptop with an equal or faster processor; I can almost guarantee it. If I were in your position, and didn't feel like bothering with the Macbook any more, that's what I'd do.

3. Billy Bob thread starter macrumors regular

What do you think I could get for an approximately 1 year old macbook dual core 2GHz with a cracked keyboard and no apple care?

4. Kelly™ macrumors regular

5. heatmiser macrumors 68020

At least $700, maybe $800 or higher--on eBay, of course. That's more than enough to buy a Gateway/Acer/HP with a 2ghz+core2duo, 2gigs of ram, 160gb, and a 15" screen.

6. Billy Bob thread starter macrumors regular

Oh that's better than I thought, I am going to seriously consider that. Thanks for the help, it's much appreciated.

7. heatmiser macrumors 68020

No problem. Better luck with whatever you do next. It's frustrating to drop a lot of money on a machine and have it start falling apart when you get it!

8. BIK macrumors member

BIK

Yeah if you are that displeased with the build quality, jump ship.

It does suck to lose out on OSX, however.

9. Billy Bob thread starter macrumors regular

It is! I couldn't agree me, I don't want to sound like a whiner but it's really annoying to spend money on products that let you down. Anyway I'm done ranting, I appreciate the advice guys.

10. Josheua macrumors regular

You win some, you loose some. Most of us are quite happy with our switching experience, you happened to have a problematic change. Hopefully down the road you will find a computer that better suits your needs or may even find your way back to Apple. It is hard to have such a big investment fall apart on you, and Apple shouldn't charge for obvious defects in their products. However, thus is the ways of corporate America, even under the Halo of Apple and Steve Jobs.

-Josh :apple:

11. Paul Wright macrumors regular

Paul Wright

im in the same situation... not with the cracked keyboard as such, but the mass problems... was this your only problem with your macbook, if so your a lucky man

12. Viper2005 macrumors 6502

Viper2005

The Macbook is a toy...an oversized Nintendo DS. Its made of plastic so of course it can crack everywhere. The keyboard, the screen, etc.
    Get a Macbook Pro if you want a reliable notebook Mac that won't disintegrate.

13. one1 macrumors 65816

The iBook never had such issues. Barring all the cute names, the Macbook is an overgrown iBook, with much worse design flaws.

14. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

The iBook was a rock. I just hope the macbooks will get to the same place as the iBooks were designwise soon.

15. TheStu macrumors 65816

Right except that if you look at the MacBook Pro wrong it will dent like a MoFo. I have 1 dent on my MacBook, and a few cracks, and I am not at all polite towards it.

My friend's MacBook Pro on the other hand looks like it was used as body armor in a BB gun battle.

Not saying that BillyBob hasn't had a terrible experience, but honestly, if you are looking for rugged, get a ThinkPad or the ToughBook.

16. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

MacBook Pros do have a better build quality then a MacBook.

17. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i'm not really convinced of that. having owned both, it's easy to be swayed by the macbook pro's metallic shell, possibly confusing it for build quality. however, the macbook i had was rock solid. i couldn't fault it anywhere. not the keyboard, the casing or the build. further, i felt more comfortable toting the macbook around over the macbook pro. to me, the macbook pro feels a tad fragile.

18. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

your macbook must be significantly older than a year if you were out of warranty when the crack happened, you got it repaired and it now has another crack? I doubt that all happened within a few weeks of your applecare running out? If it did, raise hell with Ken Bell, he is Steve's big CR guy. I'm sure he could do SOMEthing for you...

agreed. I schlepped my mb all over. My mbp sits at my desk almost permanently.

19. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

Email steve.jobs @ apple.com

It will get through to corporate level customer care.

20. FireArse macrumors 6502a

what rubbish

If you want a Mac that won't disintegrate after 2-3 years of use, buy a Powerbook G4. Those were built like brick *****houses.

With regards to that cracking topcase issue - I've had plenty of friends with the same issue, Apple Regent Street replaced the Topcase free of charge - even outside of warranty. I was even at the bar for my Mac Pro when I overheard a Genius saying he'd do it free to another customer.

Stick with the MacBook. They aren't well built, but are great value for money compared to the CPU horsepower.

21. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

My Powerbook is maybe the best Mac I ever owned. Not sure how the MB's are or if they changed the quality.

22. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Dozens of Apple laptops here, never any problems.

Depends on when you got the repair / replacement, you might still be under warranty for that.

Do you have picture (have this thread on the screen when you take the picture)? Perhaps YOU are rough with the laptop? Many computer users have no idea how a laptop need to be treated, as I've seen may try to hold laptops by the screen and cannot figure out why their screen hinge develop a problem (crack, etc.) Mostly PC users though.

It's call a laptop case which helps protect laptops. However, I've seen MBP dropped (couple feet usually), banged at various angles, and STEPPED ON (not recommended). NO PROBLEMS to the MBP case, NO DENT. To make serious dent(s) it has to be a pretty violent impact due to reckless carelessness.

23. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

You have a 90 day warranty on repair service - I don't know if that falls out of your range or not... I know because I have the agreement in front of me to mail mine in for the 3rd time in less than a year. Still, you should definitely complain - especially if the problem is widespread.

That all said, I get the feeling that macbooks are crap... in fact, I'm yet to be impressed by any mac laptop and I'm no newbie.

24. TheStu macrumors 65816

Well, he is not the most graceful or careful of individuals, but he is also not nearly as reckless with his system as I am with mine.

25. Silver-Fox macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

seriously...it's a piece of plastic, i have a macbook and i have dropped mine etc and no plastic has cracked, im sure apple didnt mean to fix it so it cracked in the same place