Hate The Deals Apple Makes!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by DisneyRicky, Jun 6, 2010.

1. DisneyRicky macrumors regular

DisneyRicky

Okay, so i got my MacBook Pro the 24th. Nobody told me that they were going to do the 'Free' iPod thing. So the next day I see an ad online, after that I called Apple. Their reply "If you would like the iPod, you need to return your MacBook and get a new one." No biggy, I can take it back. I didn't have much data stored. Luckily I asked though, they charge a 25% restocking fee at my store! Not worth my time and the extra cash. But come on! It was less than 24 hours old! They could have told me to wait and that a deal was coming...

This bugs me!

P.S. Always Ask For Upcoming Promotions!

2. Marty Macfly macrumors regular

Performing proper research before buying any product allows one to see such happenings as yearly giveaway deals.

This has been a valuable lesson, I take it, and you won't make the same mistake again.

3. mitchleeh macrumors regular

Yeah - this back to school promo has been going strong for years.
    I don't feel bad for you, because you didn't ask the question or do the research.

4. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Try a different store. As far as I have read, Apple has taken care of anyone that bought their mac a few days early.

5. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Thats a cold attitude.

6. DisneyRicky thread starter macrumors regular

DisneyRicky

Summer Break just started! Why would you get a MacBook for school already? I could see them doing thins kind of deal right before school, but not when it just ended

7. DisneyRicky thread starter macrumors regular

DisneyRicky

It's a little too late now. It's been 3 weeks, and if they didn't offer it then, they definitely won't do it now!

8. Marty Macfly macrumors regular

The promotion exists to get rid of the old stock of iPods to make room for the new ones that are released in September of every year.

9. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

If you bought it from the apple store then I would try calling apple directly. It can't hurt and it sounds like you where informed about the deal the next day. I know there policy, from speaking directly with them on the phone, regarding new computer models is you can return for the latest model within 14 days even if you used it. In this case, perhaps you can work something out and not return for a new one and still get the deal.

10. DisneyRicky thread starter macrumors regular

DisneyRicky

I'll call them then. I'm not a stickler for free stuff, but I do want a new iPod! Does anyone know if it's a 2 Gen or 3 Gen?

11. keypox macrumors member

Apple has the worse customer service i have ever experienced. Well besides best buy.

12. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Statistics tell the opposite. In many polls (official ones, not MR or other unofficial ones), Apple has clearly been the dominator in customer service. Not all 35 000 employees are similar though, I've heard several horror stories but generally, Apple has a great customer service

13. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502a

mcpryon2

I'm guessing you didn't buy it at an Apple store since you cite a 25% restocking fee. If that's the case, when Apple told you to return it and rebuy that makes sense.

14. DisneyRicky thread starter macrumors regular

DisneyRicky

I got it from my local BestBuy (Free 2 year warranty!), they are a reseller, but I called the retail Apple store for the iPod. Should I talk to people at BestBuy?

15. musashino macrumors newbie

If u buy from bestbuy, why should apple store give you free iPod?

Your best bet is to keep it. Apple won't help as you are not buying from apple store. Next time do some research (at least google it) before you buy a $1000 laptop.

16. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

If you bought from Best Buy then no ipod but you got 2 year warranty instead. That is not bad.

I don't buy much from Best Buy because of their restocking fee policy. I generally look for a good price and a good return policy like Amazon and other places

17. nick1516 macrumors 6502a

nick1516

This happens around the same time every year, if you're buying an item this expensive, you should do some research. That said, if it was only the day before they should at least wave the restocking fee.

18. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I agree with others- you did get free warranty and didn't buy directly from Apple so no free iPod since that program is only directly from apple (apple.com or apple store)

Unfortunately companies have dates on offers for a reason. Most good companies have a one to two week overlap that they don't advertise but allow their customer service reps to offer if questioned about deals. However, there does need to be an exact date in which they will do nothing retroactively....if not, then you would have one customer saying I just bought mine 2 days ago....and another saying 3 days ago....then another 4 and so on. When does it end. Either way- you don't have an argument since the iPod deal is not offered through best buy.

As far as Apple customer service- there are always bad reps with even the best company but I totally agree with Hellhammer- statistically Apple is the top for sure!! Consumer reports has had apple at the top of their surveys for years.....and that is independently researching millions of customer responses.