Hate the iPad app store!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Olivia23, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Olivia23 macrumors 6502a

Olivia23

I don't like the way the ipad app store is setup at all. The app store on iPhone is so much better. When I try to browse games on iPad app store, I only see a few. I go to Catergories, click on Games, then the newest & noteworthy show up and What's Hot and that's it. Other than that you have to type in game you are looking for. No real browsing for games like I can on iPhone. All I have to do is select All. For some reason that choice is not under Catergories on iPad.

2. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

It isn't real intuitive but once you do Categories / Games press the Games button towards the top left to select the genre of game.

3. MallCop macrumors 6502

4. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

The app store is hands-down the most poorly-designed app on my iPad. I wrote an entire post about it on my iPad blog, and I doubt I even covered all the problems. I've never used it on the iPhone, so no clue how they differ.

Good to hear that there is a way to view subcategories in games - if only they would do that for all categories. Any category with thousands of apps in it (that's nearly all of them) is not useful as the bottom level!

5. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

^Your blog is well written, easy to navigate and honest in presenting both sides.
    Bookmarked!

6. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    +1

Very nice blog... I am in complete agreement RE the shortcomings of the ipad app store. I hope the iOS make some big changes in ios5 +ipad3 - currently the only disappointment i have with my recent ipad purchase, was the app store!

7. tgcken macrumors member

Agreed. Coming from the iphone app store to the ipad one was.. unpleasant.. at best. Not sure how they dropped the ball so hard on this one.

8. wickerman1893 macrumors 6502

wickerman1893

IMO it's not too bad. They need to improve on the setup of search and categories but the larger images and more results per page is nice!

9. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

to the op, if you think the ISO app store is bad, I suggest you try looking at the WebOS or Android app stores. Well, assuming you can get into HP's app store. I'm having issues at the moment.

10. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the kind words about the blog! :D That will help motivate me to post more...

11. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

When you select the games category, you can then (from the games section), click "games" to bring up a drop down menu which shows various games categories.

12. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Hah, the Genius comment made me laugh. That feature make sense with music purchases, but not so much with app purchasing and their greater diversity.

It's akin to going to a superstore to buy a bar of chocolate, and a sales assistant tells you "previously someone who bought a bar of chocolate also bought a pencil. Would you like a pencil too?"

Edit: Videos as well as screenshots would be a nice addition too.

13. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I dunno, I don't think it's too bad. I just think that Apple is trying to hard to mimic the iTunes store on the computer. Sure the iPad version of the app store needs some changes (I'm not denying that), but IMO it's not really that bad.