Hate the Update

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jesster, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Jesster, Aug 5, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2012

Jesster macrumors newbie

I updated my software in the last week through "Software Update". Three major irritants have come about and through trying to change them back I found a new irritant.

Preview (now 5.2.2), which I previously had great use and admiration of, has been changed into a hassle to use. The code that came with Lion for Preview worked great (don't know version number), but now it has the major problem of being overzealous. I click on a single file (whatever pdf, jpg, etc) and not only does it open the chosen file, but usually the past 5, 10, 20 files. So I get a lot of extra not needed files opened and then I go through and close all the individual windows that I didn't want. I switched the preferences to not open the last pdf (it still does and a lot more) and I switched the preferences to open individually so as not to convolute what I originally wanted to look at; many times I open a folder full of jpegs and have many extra text files, jpegs, pdfs included. Is there any way to prevent Preview from opening up so many (any) past files automatically?

Safari (6.0), the new one, has done away with the separate search field and now has the combined address/search field. I understand this concept for an iPhone on a small screen. I can also understand this should be an option on an iPad. But when I have 26" diagonal measure desktop space; IT BECOMES MORE OF AN IRRITANT THAN A POSITIVE!

So like in the past, I tried to delete the new programs and install the ones that came with Lion. I wish I had used Lion Diskmaker that allows making a personal backup of Lion, before "upgrading" the applications. I would have had copies then. I found Safari 5.1.1; I don't know if this is the latest before I updated. I can't find an older version of preview at all. The icing on the cake was when Mac OSX won't let me delete those two applications, can't unlock them or anything. The little window says “Preview” can’t be modified or deleted because it’s required by Mac OS X. These are irritants that are deal breakers for me and I can't understand why these "upgrades" are not optional and why I can't delete the newer versions and install what I had before. Losing this control IS a deal breaker for me and I will sell my mini and my laptop and go back to using my last G5. It still works great just like my old G4's that the kids use.

...and Duplicate is the new Save As??? "Save a Version" doesn't just save a version, it overwrites the original--> most people know that the word SAVE would save the modified file over top of the original as a shorcut and Save AS means that you get a save window that allows changing the name and the location of the file! With Duplicate it takes one step and turns it into two steps because you then have to change the name of the copy file-->you have to rename the file by backspacing the word "copy" and then type in the name modifier that you want instead of just typing in what you wanted to begin with.

I have never been upset with anything Apple before, but this seems like Apple has lost some of its market/user friendly research since Steve Jobs passed or maybe corporate just wants OSX to be more like Windows.

2. simsaladimbamba

No need to go back to your G5 if you have Macs from 2011 or older, as they can still run Mac OS X 10.6, which does not have these problems (and why I still run 10.6 and not 10.7 or 10.8, though I upgraded my home machines within two weeks of every major upgrade release since 2004, but not since 2011).

3. robgendreau macrumors 68040

Actually, it's more like iOS than Win7.

I feel your pain about how you can't easily switch back to older versions of Mac apps. But don't give up, just switch to alternatives. Adobe makes one for Preview and Google and Mozilla make some for Safari, although the common search/address bar is pretty ubiquitous now.

Not sure what OS you're on, but you could try checking "Close windows when quitting application," since that might be the source of all those Preview windows opening. And in ML I don't get the "Save a Version..." dialog; you now get a File>Duplicate, and it does just that: duplicates the file, and leaves the name field highlighted so you can choose whatever name you like. Upon closing, or using the title bar, you can choose where to save that new copy. Better than before. And again, non-Apple applications use the same old Save As... you're apparently interested in.

Apple provides the system; you can find tons of helpful developers that do a better job of providing software for various tasks than Apple (and I suggest looking in MacUpDate or other source for this stuff rather than the Mac App Store...you probably won't like that either).