Hate those Mac 'Software Update' intruders

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Politis, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Politis macrumors regular

Every so often Mac downloads/dumps software on my computer. It calls it 'Software Update'. It's megabytes upon megabytes of updates for applications I never use so I don't accept them.

My question is, are all these downloads kept on my laptop waiting for me to activate them? If yes, where are they kept and... how can I get rid of them?:mad:

I don't mind security updates, but... How can I prevent apple from dumping 'updates' on me for applications I never use?

2. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

You can choose which updates to accept.
    Honestly I`ve never found OSX update to be intrusive, it just does its thing in the background mostly.
    Much better then the every-other-day in your face windows updates.

3. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

You know - you can choose how long it should be between each time it pops up.

4. Politis thread starter macrumors regular

I agree with you there, but where do they stay on my laptop? I mean, I don't want them piling up and nibbling away at my memory - if that is the case.

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

They don't download unless you tell it to. GO to Software Update in your system preferences.

If you're so worried about storage space, delete the apps you don't use and SU won't offer to update them.

6. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

I`m not entirely sure, I`ve always assumed they are stored in some sort of temporary file and deleted if you de-select them in software update.

7. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Unless you have the 'Download updates automatically' checkbox checked, then nothing is downloaded. It simply checks to see if you have any updates for the applications you have, if you don't want to download it, uncheck the boxes, like you already are.

8. bizzle macrumors 6502a

Whether you use them or not you should install them because certain programs depend on certain other programs. For example, iTunes store will not work if Safari is not up to a certain version, so if you don't use Safari but you use iTunes and you chose not to upgrade Safari, you will have problems. Just run them all before you end up coming here asking why "xyz doesn't work".

9. Politis thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks

Thanks all.

10. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

No, your computer checks your software profiles against the versions at Apple. If an update is detected, Software Update notifies you. Then, only if you select to update, the update packet is downloaded to your computer and the update script is run.

11. wpotere Guest

It isn't just Apple updates that do this, it is also an application that is designed to check back home for a newer version (MS Office, Bento Adobe, etc...). Nothing is downloaded until you click the update button as mentioned.

For what it is worth, you should upgrade your software when you get those messages. They generally don't take up much more space and they provide you with security updates as well as new features. Keeping software and the OS updated means that you will have a more bug free experience. My advice is to go ahead and update when you get those messages.

12. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

Cheers.
    Learn something new every day :)

13. Xenc, Feb 19, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2011

Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

I wonder if Lion will use the App Store for all updates or keep the Software Update tool as well.

14. Miss Terri macrumors 6502

So I have to have Safari on my computer, and totally updated - to use the iTunes store?

Really? Argh, I didn't know that. I don't use Safari much, so I don't usually update it (as a rule). Also, I'm not the "early adopter" type, so I will usually hold out on any updates until I read about whether they are going to be good for my purposes or not (updated iTunes once without doing this on my old iBook and boy was I sorry!).

15. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

how does it 'nibble away' at your memory? The entire process occurs rarely and intermittently and takes only a few minutes. And you can just refuse to install the update so nothing at all happens.

16. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

Politis most likely meant memory as in "free space".