Haunted?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by schatzie, Jul 24, 2008.

1. schatzie macrumors member

ok I know this just sounds ridiculous but I figured I give it a try in case there's a chance it happened to anyone...

Recently, my macbook just makes this really weird sound randomly. It actually sounds like a "ghost" noise from one of those cheesy scary movies. I know, I don't know how to describe it. Every time it does, it lasts about 1 to 2 seconds. It just happens a few times a day. And it's the same exact sound every time. Of course I can't bring it to the Apple store 'cause I don't know when it'll happen again.

Do you guys know what I should do besides reinstalling or restore from a Time Machine Backup?

Thanks!!!

2. cheekybobcat macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

When does this happen? At startup, while your actually using it, etc.?

3. schatzie thread starter macrumors member

When I'm using it. And I never see any pattern. It just randomly comes on and sounds really weird... and scary if you don't expect it.

Sometimes it just comes on when it's just sitting there, sometimes I'm surfing the web, use other apps, etc... no pattern at all.

4. NintendoChick macrumors regular

Not a pattern with the time of day?

Funny story actually. I've been working all summer, and I just realized the cooler goes off every day at exactly 4:02. It took me 2 months in the same room to distinguish a pattern.

SO, here's my suggestion:

Write down the time you turn on your mac.

Then when the sound happens, write the time down, and see if there's a pattern, either in the time between sounds, the time of day, etc. meh, it's worth a shot!

5. schatzie thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I tried my best to note the pattern, but can't get it. Sometimes it goes on for hrs with nothing, sometimes it does it a few times in a hr.

In any case, I just reinstalled.

Thanks all for your replies.