Hauppauge 1212 vs EyeTV HD

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by freak99, May 9, 2011.

1. freak99, May 9, 2011
    Last edited: May 9, 2011

freak99 macrumors member

I'm interested in a solution for recording television broadcasts with my iMac. Based on my research the Hauppage 1212 and the EyeTV HD seem to be the two main available options. Does anyone have any experience with either of these?

The two seem very similar and I'm curious if there are any glaring differences between them.

Thanks in advance.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

eyeTV's manufacturer, elgato, specializes in TV tuners and software for the Mac. Whichever tuner you purchase, you will have to use the eyeTV software. Why not simplify things and go elgato all the way?

3. aristobrat macrumors G5

Elgato's EyeTV software is pretty awesome, I wonder what Hauppage includes?

When you say broadcasts, do you mean over-the-air via an antenna?

4. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

The Elgato has significantly better Mac support, but is stereo only.

The 1212 has 5.1 optical input. It is technically Mac compatible, but just barely as far as I can tell.

5. freak99 thread starter macrumors member

Cable broadcasts.

Having 5.1 optical would be nice but it's not a deal breaker.

Hauppage can use EyeTV software ($80) or a third party solution ($30).

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Both Hauppage WinTV-HVR-950Q and the elgato EyeTV HD can tune both ATSC over-the-air digital broadcasts and ClearQAM cablecasts. The vast majority of ClearQAM HD cablecasts are retransmitted broadcast signals. Virtually all cable-exclusive HD programming is scrambled and cannot be viewed without cable company equipment.

The Hauppage tuner ships with EyeTV Lite for Mac users. There is no mention of any other software supported. However, the full version of EyeTV will work. EyeTV is the gold standard for Mac tuner software. Why even worry about other options?

7. aristobrat macrumors G5

Like MisterMe mentioned, make sure you understand the limitations of the TV tuners in regards to cable broadcasts.

Of the 200+ channels my cable company offers, my USB EyeTV Hybrid can only tune about 10 of them (all local channels that the cable company is required to rebroadcast unencrypted).

The bigger EyeTV HD can "remote control" a cable box, allowing your Mac to see any channel the cable box can tune. It uses an infrared "blaster" to change the channel of the cable box. I haven't used it personally, but it seems like it'd work well.

8. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

I don't think the OP asked for or wants a tuner. He's using the cable box to tune. He wants a recorder to capture unencrypted component HD video.

9. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The EyeTV HD is a tuner. That is what the OP asked about. That is what I responded to. The Hauppage product that I referred to is one of two products that Hauppage specifically targets to Mac users. I see no reference to the Hauppage 1212 anywhere on its website.

If the OP wants something other than a tuner, then he should say so. Both Hauppage and elgato make video capture devices. The EyeTV HD is not one of them.

10. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

MisterMe,

Actionable is actually right on this one. The OP asked about the Hauppague 1212 and the EyeTV HD. Neither of these devices have tuners. They're HD component capture devices.

They can both use EyeTV, and with the help of a component tuner (e.g. cable box, etc) and an IR blaster, can behave like an integrated tuner/pvr.

OP, if you're not really interested in time shifting live TV, you may want to consider the Hauppauge 1212 and Steven Toth's HDPVRCapture app. It'll allow you to convert your recorded HD shows (or live) in real time. You can find 1212's for under $180 at many locations. Sometimes, they get really affordable with online deals and coupons.

ft

11. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Completely wrong. Show me where the EyeTV HD is listed as having a tuner:
    http://www.elgato.com/elgato/na/mainmenu/products/EyeTV-HD/product1.en.html

Show me where to plug in the antenna:
    [​IMG]

I stand by my previous statement 100%.

Hauppage 1212 Mac support is provided by a third party, which is why I stated it was Mac compatible, but barely. Here is their information:
    http://www.hdpvrcapture.com/cms/