Hauppauge HD PVR with 2011 MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by applepai, Oct 4, 2012.

1. applepai macrumors newbie

applepai

Hi,

I'm thinking about getting the Hauppauge HD PVR to record gameplay from my Xbox 360, but I want to be sure that it will work flawlessly with my late 2011 MBA. Does anyone have any experience with this? What software would I have to buy additionally for it to work with Mac OS?

2. tiwizard macrumors regular

According to this post, you will also need to purchase EyeTV (~$100) or HDPVR Capture (~$30) since the software provided with the PVR is Windows only.

3. applepai thread starter macrumors newbie

applepai

Thank's for the find! Doesn't look like I need EyeTV, as HDPVR Capture should be enough if I'm going to record gameplay only. Wondering wether the MBA can handle it, but one of the respondents in the post used it with their now 6 year old Macbook, so I guess it should be fine.

4. Poopsie macrumors newbie

I just used my Macbook Air and HDPVR to record some VHS tapes, then convert them to MP4 afterwards. No problems at all, most of the encoding is done on the HDPVR anyways. I use a program I purchased called HDPVR capture. It works pretty good, sometimes a little buggy but never during your recordings, usually afterwards you have to restart the program.

5. applepai thread starter macrumors newbie

applepai

Thank you, good to know! :)

6. applepai thread starter macrumors newbie

applepai

This is no longer Mac related, but maybe someobody with a Hauppauge knows the answer for this one.

So I bought the Hauppauge, connected it to the 360, and it worsk perfectly. However, now I want to recotd live TV as well (need an excuse of buying it for the gf :D ). Thing is, I don't have a TV box, I get my TV signal directly from a freeview cable (directly from the wall to the TVs built inn freeview). How do I go about with this?

I read that it's possible to record via using the SCART input on the TV, uisng an adapter. I have this one adapter. My question here is wether I have to buy another composite cable, connect them in the composite in on the Hauppauge(where my Xbox component cables are currently connected), and then plug in the red, white and yellow to the adapter. OR, should I buy A/V cables, that I plug in to the front of the Hauppauge?