Have 15.4" rMBP for gaming, how do I stop over heating?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cmF, Mar 7, 2014.

1. cmF macrumors member

cmF

So my 13.3" 2009 MBP unibody overheated really bad one time (somehow didn't go to sleep in my laptop bag), and ever since my 13.3" is always running hot and fan is blasting. An apple genius told me it's because the thermal paste on the cpu was ruined.

How do I prevent the same thing from happening with my 15.4" rMBP? Is there an app that I can get that automatically closes programs before overheating? Is it possible to game without laptop cooling bed? Thanks.

2. christarp macrumors 6502

christarp

I don't think it's overheating to be honest. Unless you're starting to get graphical glitches and stability problems then it's just really really hot, but not so hot that it would be considered past the safe threshold.

My 13" rMBP runs at like 100c while playing diablo 3 and stuff like that, and while that't hot enough to boil water it's right on the edge of where it should be. If it did get any hotter it would throttle down the CPU (and perform worse) to manage temperatures. Unless you start to see problems with glitches and stability like I mentioned before then it's probably operating "normally".

Macbooks should be able to throttle down and even shut down (not sure on this one) if temperatures get too extraordinarily hot, damage should only occur if this system fails and it doesn't throttle itself and keeps letting temperatures climb. There really shouldn't be any required action on your part to prevent overheating as it should all be automatic.

3. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

Well all macbooks if i am right will shut down when temperatures reach 105c its onoy once it does shut down that you have an issue and need to get it checked like you did and found the paste dried up.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

First get an app that measure the temps so you have some concrete examples, secondly if a new laptop is running in the 70 to 80c degree range while idling then take it back. So if you're concerned about a new laptop over heating monitor it and be sure that its operating as it should

Finally, shut the computer down when putting it into a carrying case not sleep. This will guarantee that you'll not run into an issue where you see the MBP cooking itself to death because you thought it was in sleep mode

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

If it overheats, it'll shut itself down.

If it didn't, then it didn't overheat either.

6. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

i've been gaming ALOT on my retina, no problems so far.. i only had it shut down once but that was because it was running 100% cpu for like 13 hours (3D rendering)..