Have 15" PB G4, get new MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by opticalserenity, Jun 16, 2007.

1. opticalserenity macrumors 6502a

I know, this is the same old discussion. But here goes.

I currently have a 15" G4 Powerbook 1.67 with 1.5gb ram, and the 128mb vram. I love this machine and if it wasn't for my 8k+ pictures in iPhoto and constantly running apps like Photoshop, along with the normal (web, mail, chat, itunes) things get a bit slow.

I'm really interested in running Aperture along with generally increasing the speed. I'm also interested in running Vista using bootcamp.

Also, is the new LED screen bright enough to go with a glossy screen? My current G4 PB is obviously a matte screen and I am fine with it, but I do love the way the glossy look while inside, I'm just concerned with being able to use the MBP outdoors.

How much speed increase will I see going from my Aluminum G4 to a new 15" C2D 2.2ghz?

Is it worth spending the $1799 on? Or should I just get the last gen MBP refurbs? (note, I do get the student discount, hence why it is $1799).

2. NewSc2 macrumors 65816

It's a huuuuuge upgrade from a G4 to the new C2D's. There was a benchmark image a couple days ago on macbytes.com, and the new C2D's were faster than some dual-core G5's, and had about 4x the processing power of the G4's.

I upgraded from a 17" 1.67ghz G4 to a 15" MBP glossy. My only regret was to not go for the 17" MBP, but in all other regards I'm really happy with my MBP.

3. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

The new MacBook Pros are definitely worth the cost. Your PowerBook G4 is a fine machine, but the MacBook Pros simply leave it in the dust. Heck, I just bought a 2.2GHz MacBook Pro to replace my 2GHz MacBook Pro- I could not imagine still being on a G4. :)