have 2 modem/routers running on att uverse?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by aPple nErd, Jul 3, 2014.

1. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

so i have uverse internet, and when i had it installed, they accidentally send me 2 router/modems. i called and they told me to just keep both of them. i want to set up the second one in my room since i get bad wifi signal in the basement, and would like to have ethernet access for gaming, as well as better wifi down here. the routers are identical motorola nvg510. How can i do this without messing up my network? thanks!

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

That wouldn't work out to well besides they (your ISP) is charging you rent for those two modem/routers, so send the extra back ASAP! Then investigate changing out that old modem router and rolling up with your own modem with a dual band router that will extend to the dead area like using an Airport Extreme with an Airport Express. To figure out what modem to buy look on your ISP support page for approved devices then get one from Amazon or somewhere cheap.

3. aPple nErd thread starter macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

i've had it for over a year and they told me they didn't want to pay shipping back, so i can keep it as a spare. as far as upgrading my router, ehh, if i have to do that then i can live with slightly slower speeds.

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Didn't you read my post that said your ISP is charging you rent each month for those old ISP wireless routers? You like paying rent to the ISP when better tech is out there?

5. aPple nErd thread starter macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

they aren't charging.... maybe for the one thats in use but not the one thats never been powered on.... smh

6. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

While it can be done, there's not much information available on that device. Only place to get the manual is from Ron Berman

You will have to set it up in bridge mode and run a cable between the two.

7. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

You think! Almost all ISPs charge a customer rent on devices they provide! Oh, your in Europe where everything is roses and creme but the rest of us know that most ISPs are just short of evil because the way they threat their customers. :mad:

8. Iphonefreak80 macrumors newbie

You can try and use the Ethernet port on the back of the uverse cable box. That's what I do.