Have 2 need to sell 1

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rotorblade69, Mar 27, 2008.

1. rotorblade69 macrumors regular

I have a Powermac G4 500 Cube and a G5 iMac 2.1 20". Both run great and not a problem with them ever. Both I have a love for more so the CUBE.

Well I have been in the process of thinning the heard of a lot of stuff getting ride of clutter and items that haven't been used in a while. Now I have gotten to the computers. The only 2 in the house left. I'm getting ready for a lot of changes coming up in our lives around here. For this year I really only need a computer for internet word processing ical iphoto and itunes. Nothing really graphics or processor intensive. Will be getting new sys. in 2009, a tower and a notebook along with some HD equipment.
    Of the 2 machines below what should go and what should i keep. I keep leaning toward selling the iMac and keeping the cube. The cube was my first brand new bought mac so its kinda my baby girl. The iMacs are a dime a dozen so to speak. The iMac will sell for more and will probably be easier to get rid of but its also the newest.

Which one goes bye bye::

Power Mac G4 Cube 500 Mhz Nividia Geforce 2 graphics card, 60 gig hard drive, 380 MB ram, cd-rw drive no dvd, and a 15" display. All boxes and packaging and Software CD's and books.

G5 iMac 2.1 Ghz 20" no additions extra memory JUST stock right out of the box apple Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. No box but all Software CD's and Books.

2. ruckus macrumors regular

ruckus

On the one hand you have the cube, which is more of a collector's item now. If this works well for you, then by all means keep it! You will get more for the iMac and that extra cash will likely help out in other areas.

But if you don't think the cube will cut it until 2009, keep the iMac.

If it were me, I'd proly keep the iMac just because I would want the extra power. That said, I sold my 12" PB when I got a MBP and wish I hadn't. That was my favorite computer ever...

I guess I just confused you even more now.

3. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

Since you're getting a new system in '09, sell the iMac as it will net you more cash to put towards the new system (assuming you're looking for cash). But only do this if you find the cube powerful enough for today's needs.

4. rotorblade69 thread starter macrumors regular

2 replies and thats what I thought Sell the iMac. Thanks guys appreciate it.
    The cube will hold up for what I want but i will look into getting a newer display that will be widescreen. Maybe update OS 10, and a little more memory. Now i've just got to figure out whats the max on the size and resolution and find a ADC to DVI or VGA adaptor.

I guess i'm going to be talking to the guys at the genius bar.