Have $2000 to spend, what to buy?; college.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by GD0X, Jul 10, 2012.

1. GD0X Guest

So 2000..... In college.... I'm going in with a 360, iPhone 4, and thats it. Finance major. Into coding, Starcraft 2 (the only game), movies, music, multiple window web browsing and that's it. Ive had 2 MacBook airs, I've sold both... So no MacBook air. Thinking zenboOk prime somewhat. I can go windows or Mac; doesn't matter.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Playing SC2 on the Zenbook Prime's 11" screen would be awful...

3. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

4. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Get some practical experience with stocks, by putting your finance major education to use analysing them and buying?

5. musicwind95 macrumors newbie

With the edu discount, the Retina MBP comes in under $2000. And it's incredible. And it'll run pretty much anything you can throw at it.

6. GD0X thread starter Guest

returned one of those too lol.

7. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

8. GD0X thread starter Guest

basic c/c++ programming, the basics.

9. jdiamond macrumors 6502

Curious to know why?

Just curious what you didn't like about it?

10. imswimmin macrumors regular

Wow, you seem to have returned the laptops most people recommend for college. Perhaps you are looking for a desktop? Maybe a Mac mini or an iMac?

11. GD0X thread starter Guest

12. Ishmumrhmn macrumors regular

LOL macbooks for gaming is a JOKE

Get an alienware for under 1700 dollars and it'll last you a long time with ultra gaming performance

13. Vampire5003 macrumors 6502

Alienwares suck, I've had horrible experience with them. They are basically the Apple of PC's. Why? Because they're overpriced pieces of **** that blue screen on you and get extremely hot. IMO MSI, Sager and CyberPower PC's have really good reputation from they're customers. Personally I built my Gaming PC, Watercooled it, and managed to do all of that for less than $1500. Currently I use a RMBP for SC2, and I play at 1650X1050 on Ultra and I get 84FPS, but the lowest FPS was when I had a massive battle and it went to 54FPS. Seriously though, you could just get a regular MBP 15 inch with the GTX 650M 1GB VRAM and be Okay for SC2. It's really not a graphic intensive game.

If you want Windows then get a MSI laptop, Sager or CyberPower PC laptop. These brands have good reputation and I can personally recommend them (a bunch of my friends own various models).

14. mono1980 macrumors 6502

You sound like a spoiled brat. And I guess that since you're going into finance that makes sense. Nothing is good enough for you. I'm surprised you aren't bitching because Microsoft won't let you buy a prototype of the Xbox 720...

15. Throw Out macrumors regular

I disagree. I own a Mx11 R3 and it is fantastic.

16. Vampire5003 macrumors 6502

That was a little rough, but how do we know he didn't work for his money? Honestly, I wouldn't make accusations about somebody unless I know them completely or have good evidence to back myself up. If not I sound like the spoiled brat/dick.

----------

I had a M14X, and it was a awful experience. What makes it worse was that Dell/Alienware didn't want to replace it or even let me send it in for diagnostics. I quote "Sir blue screens are common in Windows, they're isn't anything wrong with your laptop". That's why that piece of junk went on eBay, and the funds from that went to my DIY Gaming PC. I'm glad you had a good experience with yours.

17. Slivortal macrumors 6502

More details on "coding...?"

If you're a finance major and only play SC2, unless you're into virtualization and all that stuff, specs shouldn't really matter TOO much, as long as they can play SC2 and have probably 4GB RAM.

18. brendu, Jul 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2012

brendu macrumors 68020

fully loaded top of the line mac mini with thunderbolt display

19. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

I wouldn't buy anything right now. Retina is Apple's future, and Apple will likely upgrade most (all?) models sooner than later. Just today there was a post of a 13" retina showing up in geek bench or something like that. Either buy a 15" retina or use what you have until other models are updated.

20. Anyhuman55, Jul 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2012

Anyhuman55 macrumors newbie

I'm very likely will purchase a laptop that has i5 core rather than just
    an i3 cause, I already used a laptop that has a i3 core so if I have that budget,almost certainly I will go for a high one.