Have 2008 White Macbook is it worth upgrading to the new macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by nikkiwilley, Aug 6, 2010.

1. nikkiwilley macrumors newbie

So I have a friend today offer me $700 for my 2008 macbook that I bought for 1199 in July of 08 and I was wondering if its worth it to sell my current macbook and buy the new unibody. Here are the specs to my macbook

hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook
    Model Identifier: MacBook4,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 2 GB
    Bus Speed: 800 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: MB41.00C1.B00
    SMC Version (system): 1.31f0
    Also I have 160 gb hard drive but only have used 90 gb so far

It seems to me that the $999 macbook has pretty similar specs except a few upgrades and I want to now if its worth the $300 plus to upgrade. I'm also worried about my computer being 2 years old, but I do baby it and take excellent care of it. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. nikkiwilley thread starter macrumors newbie

So an SSD but is it really worth it to get rid of my old computer. I just dont know what to do bc I normally change computers every 2-4 yrs and i still like mine and it works fine just 700 is alot to put towards an new one bc I normally just give my old laptop to someone for nothing. I reall just want to know if I will see a difference between the two to justify the early upgrade.

4. Nitro86 macrumors newbie

I just had a 4.1 given to me. Pretty slow machine.

So I updated it from 1Gb ram to 4GB, put in an OCZ 32GB SSD and the sucker >>> SMOKES<<<<.

Burned my fingers trying to keep up!!!

Total cost around $250 or less.

Of course I also use external storage and stuff....

5. koco macrumors newbie

If you go from a 4,1 to a new one, you get an improved video chip and faster system bus speed from 800MHz to 1067MHz an LED display, Superdrive, twice the battery life and of course the improved case. I don't know if any of that is worthwhile to you. $700 is a handsome price for your old system though.

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Oh joy, more Core 2.

The hard drive is still going to be the bottleneck.

7. nikkiwilley thread starter macrumors newbie

See I really don't need a new MacBook mine is great for my needs I would just like to have the improved features and backlight keyboard would be great. I really wasn't looking to buy one but the 700 is making it hard

8. TZRaceR6 Guest

TZRaceR6

Backlit keyboard is awesome... but if you like your current Macbook and it does what you need, do you really need a new one?

You could spend less than $170 and get 4GB of RAM and a really good 320GB 7200rpm HDD and your Macbook would be transformed.

9. Hisdem macrumors 6502a

Hisdem

Best solution! Or you could spend a bit more and get a SSD, but that's up to you ;)

10. molala macrumors 6502a

I would upgrade to the new MacBook. $700 is a great price to sell your current MacBook for.

And the additional $300 would get you:
    - unibody design with a more crack resistant/smudge resistant top case (it's shiny white instead of the matte light grey)
    - a bigger HD
    - LED-backlit screen
    - discrete graphics card
    - better battery life

You would lose:
    - swappable battery
    - firewire

If you don't use firewire and don't need a much faster computer, I think it's $300 well spent.

11. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

12. nikkiwilley thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry I was looking at the white MacBook but am leaning more toward the 13" MacBook pro now I just found my receipt and I paid 1299 for it before taxes so the MacBook pro is more of what I want I tend to never by the basic. I just can't make up my mind. I'm just gonna go to the apple store today.

13. molala macrumors 6502a

For me, $500 (to get the MBP) is a considerable amount of cash, whereas $300 for the current MB doesn't quite cross that threshold for some reason. I'd wait next year for a more considerable upgrade instead of spending the $500 now.

Of course, next year, you won't get the same resale price for your current laptop now.

Good luck.