Have 2009 unibody MBP, considering new one, has heat dissipation improved?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cmF, Feb 13, 2014.

1. cmF macrumors member

cmF

I'd really like to get a new MBP but not if it's going to heat up like an electric stove top burner. Can anyone that had both old (2009 unibody) form factor and new retina form factor speak to this issue? Thanks a bunch.

2. leman macrumors 604

Both get warm under load. I never experienced anything like an electric stove top burner though :D

3. cmF thread starter macrumors member

cmF

Is there any advantage to new unibody form factor other than being thinner?

4. leman macrumors 604

If you are talking about the retina MacBook Pros, then yes, their cooling system is supposed to hav improved: additional air intake vents and new fan design. I haven't seen any objective benchmarks on that though (doesn't mean that they don't exist).

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My 2010 MBP got fairly warm - in the 40 to 50c range and my 2012 rMBP sits around low 40c range. I know its not the exact model you were asking but the cooling and designs are similar enough :)

Some people have complained about the heat but I think most were using games or other intensive apps that would generate an increase in temps on any laptop.

6. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

After Mavericks my 2009 Macs stopped heating up a lot compared to Snow Leopard. The new rMBP have SSDs so significant amount of heat is already removed after that change.

7. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

I haven't downloaded anything to measure it, but it seems like my rMBP runs cooler than my mid-2009 MBP. The 09 is running Mavericks now, and I also haven't noticed much heat coming from it, but I don't use it as much.

8. smellalot macrumors 6502

Do you have a 13" or 15"?

All that I can say is the difference between my old 15" 2010 with dedicated GPU vs my newer 13" rMBP with integrated GPU is that it's a difference like night and day. I'm running the internal plus two external displays and it doesn't make the slightest of sounds.