Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Floris88

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2010
Amsterdam
Dont know yet, im not in a hurry...

Although every time I see an iMac 27inch of 21inch my money is burning in my pocket, would be great to store all my media on it (movies, photo's everything) plus its always there :)

In fact, for the same price as the thunderbolt display you will get a complete computer what will have its value in the future as well :apple:

AxiomaticRubric

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2010
On Mars, Praising the Omnissiah
As much as I would love to have the Thunderbolt display it seems a little redundant.
People say that, "Well you can keep using it with your new Macbook in the future"
I dont buy that. Why? Look how many times apple changed there display connector (DVI, mini DVI, MDP, TB, ADC,mini and micro dvi, mini vga etc, etc) and a lot of them are propriety connectors that quickly abandoned.

And at least with prior connectors they had some versatility. The TBD only works with 4 computers. (iMac, Mac Mini, Macbook Air, Macbook Pro)
What you've left out here is the fact that there are adapters for virtually all of these connectors. For example I recently bought a Mini-DVI to HDMI adapter for my early 2006 iMac and it was very cheap too. So now I can connect my old iMac to an HDTV and it looks great. I'm sure there will be a plethora of adapters for Thunderbolt in the future.

On the otherhand-
2011 iMacs are very powerful. They can be used for several years and offer more power then your current laptop. You can use this as a display using target display mode.

Honestly, Get the iMac
It all depends on what he's going to use his system for.

If gaming is a priority I'd say go for the iMac. If it's for regular day-to-day use just get a regular monitor (or HDTV) if a second screen is needed. However for the ultimate flexibility I'd recommend the Thunderbolt display, but only if a large screen is required for productivity (multiple projects open in Xcode, or multiple windows for FinalCut video editing for examples).

rhymeandreasons

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2012
What you've left out here is the fact that there are adapters for virtually all of these connectors. For example I recently bought a Mini-DVI to HDMI adapter for my early 2006 iMac and it was very cheap too. So now I can connect my old iMac to an HDTV and it looks great. I'm sure there will be a plethora of adapters for Thunderbolt in the future.

It all depends on what he's going to use his system for.

If gaming is a priority I'd say go for the iMac. If it's for regular day-to-day use just get a regular monitor (or HDTV) if a second screen is needed. However for the ultimate flexibility I'd recommend the Thunderbolt display, but only if a large screen is required for productivity (multiple projects open in Xcode, or multiple windows for FinalCut video editing for examples).

One of the reasons I'm considering the TB Display is that I can upgrade or even purchase a new MBP in a few years and still have the display.

If I run this setup with my MBP screen open, does it loose any performance instead of having it closed?

Sevigny86

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2012
To me, it seems the only reason you're considering the iMac is to backup your data... in that case why not just get a 2TB external hard drive (they're what, 100$?) along with the screen? If ever you end up not using the screen, as you fear you might, just return it!

DiamonDecoden

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2011
Texas
iMac!

I would go with the iMac.

My logic is that they are similar in price but with an iMac you get the power of 2 machines. If you do editing/rendering it's nice to have 2. Also you can use it as a monitor. It's easier to resell later. And you can keep it as your backup computer.

Thunderbolt Monitor to me is very, very lavish item. I would not buy it unless I have cash to burn.

But it's up to you..

kjmff5

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2011
rhymeandreasons;14276973 Should I buy a 27" Thunderbolt display said:
I would go with the TBD. But my question is, how are you going to get all that stuff for $1050? Refurb?

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I Bought an i7 15" MBP with 8gigs of RAM and a 750 HDD in March 2011.

I'm about to purchase a nice office desk for the first time in a long time, since I now have the room for one in my new condo. Up until now, my MBP usually resides on my coffee table. I also have an iPad2 for travel purposes.

Should I buy a 27" Thunderbolt display, bluetooth keyboard and magic track pad and a nice vertical stand for my MBP, which would all cost apprx $1050?

Or, should I just get the 21.5 iMac for $1099 and keep both computers?

27" Thunderbolt display; more reliable than an iMac, and you'll have less computers to manage data between. Win-win.

AppleFanBoy888

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2010
I was deciding the same thing just a few days ago and I finally chose the Thunderbolt Display. I have no regrets with my purchase. :D

dba415

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
I would personally get a non-apple monitor for cheaper but that's just me. I would not get another iMac that's just too unnecessary.

slesnick3

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2012
MBP 13" 2011 -- Docking Station Options

Sorry if this is long but I was having a very similar thought process and I thought it would be helpful to share my logic and course of actions:

I started to use my 2011 MBP 13" as my main computer and only used my desktop on occasion. I do use it all around the house and I wanted to simplify my life and reduce the amount of equipment I had running. If needed, I'm running Parallels for Windows but software can't duplicate my dual 24" LCDs.

As far as my data is concerned, I am using a Netgear NAS storage device so that all my computers in the house can access the data when needed.

When I am doing Web/Tech work, I would still like to sit down at times and have a full-size screen with mouse and keyboard. I was all set on the Idea of using Thunderbolt to simplify the docking situation so that I would only have one or two cables connected from my Laptop to the Monitor. The only option of course was to use the 27" Thunderbolt display for $1000. At CES, there were several companies discussing or showing off their own version of Thunderbolt displays. One could wait hoping that these displays would be a fractipn of the cost. There was another consideration -- the super high resolution of the 27" Apple Display but the question was; do I really need it?

Then it dawned of me ... If I am using an Apple Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse, they connect directly to the laptop via wireless so the only two connections I would have when I docked was for the power and the monitor. That solved one big issue.

The second part of the issue: my needs don't really require having a built-in webcam in the monitor although there are many non-apple products that have those built-in as well if one wanted them.

These things taken under consideration, I am leaning towards purchasing a 27" ASUS LED Display with Display Port connection (they have one with webcam and one without) for around $300. It is 1080P. I don't need super-res. I like the fact that it also allows me to have other inputs (DVI, HDMI, etc.) For part-time use, $300 is much more comforting than $1000.

Finally, I have also seen products coming down the pipeline that will possibly allow one to use the thunderbolt to utilize an external Video Card (e.g. MSI GUS II). If this was the case, I would rather spend my money on this solution as it would allow me to enhance the graphics capabilities of my Laptop and do things (e.g. Video Games) that I don't really use my laptop for currently.

So I think the logic is ... the answer really depends on the desired use, future possibilities, and budget. For me, while I love the look and feel of the 27" Display -- I can't justify getting it to sit on my desk unused and with very limited capabilities for other things. I like the $300 ASUS option.

Hope this Helps!!!:)

AhmedJ

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2012
Macbook pro buying suggestions

hi everyone im just new to this forum page so dont know much how to use it so i was just wondering if someone can help me in buying a mbp. cuz iv heard that its going to upgrade soon so should i buy it or not????

slesnick3

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2012
hi everyone im just new to this forum page so dont know much how to use it so i was just wondering if someone can help me in buying a mbp. cuz iv heard that its going to upgrade soon so should i buy it or not????

You will probably get a better response if you were to post this question on a different thread in this forum BUT, to help ...

Check here: https://buyersguide.macrumors.com//

You will see that the MackBook Pro is mid product cycle meaning that updates will probably happen this year. Based on owning a 2011 MBP, I will verify that it does heat up very easily and, if I had to make a suggestion, I would wait until the new models come out with the Ivy Bridge chips (run cooler) and they have a new form factor.

robzr

macrumors member
May 4, 2006
Portland, OR
I went through this last year. I have a 2010 i7 15" MBP, I started working from home. I'm an IT consultant, I do photography for fun (Aperture is a resource hog). I got a Cinema display and used it for a while, but when the 2011 iMacs came out, I order a well spec'd 27" and the difference is huge. I sold the Cinema display and haven't looked back.

With 4 DIMM slots on a 27" iMac, you can upgrade to 16 GB ($80) for dirt cheap or 32 GB at a reasonable price ($300).

The video card on the iMac is much better, that's noticeable even on mundane everyday tasks like moving windows around, not to mention games and graphic intensive apps.

The price difference between the iMac and the Cinema display plus wireless keyboard & mouse (Which the iMac comes with) isn't that much.

Faster CPUs available for the iMac.

Disk upgrade options are much better, you can easily run a SSD + a fast 3 TB internal drive. Your stuck with low capacity and slow notebook drives for the MBP. Thunderbolt enclosures will change that, once they are reasonably priced.

The fans on the iMac will run quieter at high load.

My next step will be to get a 15" Air style when they make those available. Managing multiple systems can be a hassle, but I haven't found it to be too bad. Since you leave the iMac on all the time, it makes for a better media server (like iTunes sharing to a aTV or Plex), download server (pick your poison :) ), web/file/terminal server (nice to be able to remote onto it via iPhone or iPad when out to kick off a download or copy a file).

Rob

Bob Coxner

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011
Except if you want the same resolution as Apple's display, you would be paying approximated the same price range (ie: the Dell U2711 is $999). However with the Dell display you get a lot of input options, etc.; the Apple display is limited to one input, but you do get the "docking" capabilities.

It doesn't sound as though the OP is a graphic artist or photographer. He can probably get by with somewhat less resolution than a top of the line monitor.

For example, here's a well reviewed 27" LED 1920x1080 by Asus for $287 on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-VE278Q-2...34RK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329148131&sr=8-1 (the Amazon price is on the far right) It has a 3-year warranty and Asus pays return shipping.

jehy

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2011
Staffordshire UK
I will do that...

As much as I would love to have the Thunderbolt display it seems a little redundant.
People say that, "Well you can keep using it with your new Macbook in the future"
I dont buy that. Why? Look how many times apple changed there display connector (DVI, mini DVI, MDP, TB, ADC,mini and micro dvi, mini vga etc, etc) and a lot of them are propriety connectors that quickly abandoned.

And at least with prior connectors they had some versatility. The TBD only works with 4 computers. (iMac, Mac Mini, Macbook Air, Macbook Pro)

On the otherhand-
2011 iMacs are very powerful. They can be used for several years and offer more power then your current laptop. You can use this as a display using target display mode.

Honestly, Get the iMac

Many of your points are valid about the different types of display connectors apple have used, and I've found it VERY annoying my self.

I have to agree on this one....
Thunderbolt will be adopted by PC's soon as well, so the technology its self will be readily available soon and can't see apple scrapping it any time soon!

HOWEVER, I would be slightly reluctant to buy anything thunderbolt until thunderbolt is on pc's too!
What's to say that people will adopt apples thunderbolt interface?
There's been a few things I've seen where thunderbolt has been tested using USB interfaces on the ends whilst I can't see it launching on PC's with USB interface, I can see manufacturers making any old connection that THEY think is BETTER than other manufacturers , until a agreement is put in place where the interface is an industry standard like USB.

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
I bought a Thunderbolt Display and now my MacBook Pro only leaves my desk when I take it out of the house.
Nice. Was the thunderbolt cable to connect the display to the Macbook Pro included or did you have to purchase the cable separately? :apple:

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
That's exactly what I'm afraid of. As I'm typing this from my couch on my MBP. So will you trade in your laptop for the iMac or go with 2 computers?

I'd go with the iMac, and for couch browsing I'd take the iPad. It's cumbersome for me to use a laptop on sofa/bed or any place you thought it would be relaxing. The small monitor, attached to the keyboard does not bode well with my neck.

In contrary, iPad only consist of display, you type directly on screen (mostly) and it doesn't as cumbersome as a Macbook would.

And there is another fun fact to me, it's good to keep any Apple product, all started with the "i", so that I have iPhone, iPad, iMac .. instead of iPhone, iPad, MBP/A ouch it doesn't have a nice ring to it. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.