Have 2012 13". Wanted new 15 w/ dgpu. Thinking about new 13". Thoughts?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mattcube64, Oct 23, 2013.

1. mattcube64 macrumors 65816

mattcube64

Hey everyone.

Was REALLY wanting to pick up the 15" rMBP with dedicated GPU this month, and sell off my old 13" rMBP I've had since February. But man, that $2600 + tax price tag is killing me. I'm fine with 256GB of space. I'm fine with 8GB of RAM. Yeah, I'd like the higher-res native screen of the 15", but it's not a huge deal. Ultimately, I wanted the dedicated GPU pretty much solely for Team Fortress 2 and some other light gaming for when I'm on the road. I'm a big PC gamer, and wanted to bring along some games (and my Steam Friends) when I'm traveling for work. But I can't justify the $1100 premium.

But, my current 13" - as I described it last night after installing Mavericks - is 90% there in regard to being perfectly smooth. But it still gets the occasional stutter and it drives me nuts; even though most people wouldn't care.

I'm thinking I can sell mine for like $900, and buy the new one for $1500. $600 to again have the latest and the greatest. And maybe, just MAYBE, the Iris can actually handle TF2 and a constant 60fps. Doubt it, though.

2. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

I see from your signature that you already have the 15" rMBP, however the iris handles games very nicely. Far better than the HD 4000 and perhaps your money would have been better off spent on the 13" rMBP with 8GB RAM since the iris gets 1GB dedicated.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Probably because he already bought the rMBP since posting this question back in October of 2013.

4. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

Yep I am aware of the date. However just in case someone else was in the same situation I decided to give my advice

5. mr.bee macrumors 6502a

mr.bee

Isn't it 1.5GB now? after the last software update?

6. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

Sorry yes. You are correct.

The last time I checked that was when I got this MBP and it had 10.9.2 loaded.