Have 3G, planning on getting next version, AT&T question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macuser1997, May 17, 2010.

1. macuser1997 macrumors member

I got an iPhone 3G in September 2008. I'm planning on getting a new one when the next version is released, presumably in June. I live in California and use AT&T. Will I be able to just extend my contact 2 years to get the advertised price?

2. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Call AT&T, they can tell you. We don't know the status of your contract.

3. macuser1997 thread starter macrumors member

It's the standard contract that millions of other 3G purchasers have.

4. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

regardless of the millions of other 3g users, your upgradeability depends on how much you pay for your phone plan. some users are eligible for a full upgrade after only a year, others take a little longer. since your contract started in september 2008, i'm pretty sure you'll qualify just fine for the new phone. one way to know for sure is to log into your wireless account online. there should be a link to "check upgrade options."

5. rkswat macrumors regular

Really.... wow..... go to at&t and check when you can upgrade. It is the same for you as for millions of other 3gs owners. Here, let me link you to it because why would you want to do it on your own when others can do it for you.
    1. click on me: www.att.com
    2. see the "mange my account" at the top right of the page? Put your phone number and password in the space provided.
    3. If you have not signed up for account management, then click on the link that says "register for account management" to get started.

6. macuser1997 thread starter macrumors member

7. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

8. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Just because our original contract was the same doesn't mean we know A) when you started, B) how much you spend monthly, C) what your upgrade status w/ AT&T is.

CALL AT&T.

9. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

I think AT&T will let ALL iphone users upgrade to the new model because this is their last 2 year exclusive cycle...I've been able to upgrade with every new release becuase my monthly bill is over $100...I didn't think I'd be eligible for anything this summer but I'm eligible on 6/20/10 and I got my 3GS on launch day

10. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Pretty sure they won't let someone who bought an iPhone last month upgrade in June. That's pretty far fetched.

11. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Huh?

What the hell!? You got your 3GS a year ago and are able to upgrade in June, but I got my 3G in December 2008 and can’t upgrade until August 2010 (or 20 months). My bill is over $100 too. Is this before taxes or something that it has to be over $100?

Edit: Just looked at my bill again. Monthly Service Charges are $99.98, but my bill is over $120.

12. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Quick, add something!

13. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

So, it’s based off the monthly service charge? What a crock.

14. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Well, taxes don't go to AT&T.

15. dave006 Contributor

dave006

It is based on the each line's MRC over a 3 month rolling average. So adding something today would not help for an early June timeframe. :confused:

Just to add a little detail the magic statment, it is for lines that are > $99.99 pre month MRC which includes the lines base rate (FamilyTalk primary, note that you subtract $9.99 for secondary line from the published rate), plus selected features, AT&T gets to pick the features and no a $30 FamilyTalk messaging feature does not all count toward the primary line :confused: That's why only some qualify every 12 months for an equipment upgrade, it is their reward for spending too much money with AT&T...:D

Dave

16. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I changed my rate plan so my total before taxes is over $100 back in April. I paid Aprils bill which totaled $119 and in one week, my upgrade date changed from 11/20 to 6/20. I will only have two payments in before 6/20 gets here so three months isn't exactly true.

17. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Purchased my iphone 3G in Sept 2008. I'm already eligible for an upgrade. Call ATT or check ATT wireless to see if you can. No one can tell for you.

18. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Of course your eligible, that was September 2008!!!

19. Pheelyx macrumors regular

Pheelyx

Call *639# to get a text message with your upgrade date