Have 3GS, want Iphone 4 for Overseas

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by davintarsis, May 28, 2011.

1. davintarsis macrumors newbie

I have a 3GS now, and I want to buy and Iphone 4 for use overseas, where I spend most of the time. However, I want to still use my 3GS in the States with ATT. Any suggestions on how I should go about buying and activating the Iphone 4, but still being able to use the 3GS on my ATT plan instead?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

You'd have to buy an unlocked iPhone if you really do plan to use it overseas. Since you'd have pay full price in whichever country you're going to buy it, I'm not sure what you're asking.

3. davintarsis thread starter macrumors newbie

Unlocking is not a problem. I've done it before. What I hope to know is if I can upgrade to an Iphone 4 through ATT, but still use the 3GS on the new sim card.

4. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

You should be able to do that, but your iPhone 4 won't be of much use because you can't unlock it. You're better off buying a factory unlocked one for full price wherever you go.

5. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Since you spend most of your time overseas I would recommend purchasing a factory unlocked iPhone 4 from the apple store and using that overseas while keeping the 3GS for use within the states.

6. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

7. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

To use the 3GS with a micro sim, you'll need an adapter. You should have no problem finding one online.
    The messier issue is the iPhone 4. AT&T will not unlock it. Unless you can guarantee that you can find an older one with the 1.59 bb, you can't software unlock it either. With a higher bb, you'll have to use the gevey sim. That's more trouble than it's worth.
    Go with the factory unlocked phone.

8. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Keep your 3Gs on your AT&T plan and then when you travel abroad, pick up an unlocked iPhone 4 from an apple store in either Canada, Mexico or Europe and then sell the 3Gs when you get back to the USA to help pay yourself back for the unlocked phone (They cost 659 for 16GB and 779 for 32GB in Canada).

Then use the iPhone 4 with your AT&T SIM card (you will have to cut it or get them to replace yours with a microSIM) and also use it when you go abroad by purchasing a local pre-paid SIM card.

:)