Have 4S - Considering a Used 5, 5c, 5s, , thoughts?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Neofate, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Neofate macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I am unsure if I should do this..

I have a 4S (I used an upgrade for it.. and 2 days later they had the 5c's for the same free upgrade.. I was not happy)..

Anyhow.. I didn't realize I would still be stuck with 3G.. ughh..

Well I've since used the 5's, and their speeds on my Verizon network are 85 times faster.

IE: My 4S get's about 0.19Mbps .. and the Iphone 5 about 16-18 .. It's ridiculous faster.

I have broadband.. but it goes out from time to time..and I use my phone as a hotspot quite a bit out and about.

So I use Verizon.. staying with Verizon.

And I'm not sure what to do.

I don't know if I should trust Random ebay sellers with their phones..? Any tips?

I'm not even sure if I should fork out $200+ on a used 5 for the LTE/4G. That would be the only reason I would to be honest.

If I do go for a 5.. Is there any particular one you would recommend?

IE: 5, 5s, 5c? And memory.

I have 8GB on this 4S -- what do you recommend.. I won't be getting another phone for a year and a half..

I posted on a forum I trust the people on.. and someone I don't know very well offered me an Iphone 5 (just the 5, no s, or no c).. that has 16GB memory -- has typical scuffs around the edges.. and a half inch line scratch on the front (I saw the pictures).

She wants $200 for it. I know it's a fair deal.. but I've also browsed Ebay and am not in a super rush and can spend between 200-300$ and get a 5S with 64GB if I hunt long enough and wait long enough.

Just want your tips, ideas.. and if I should even do this? My contract isn't up for renewal for 1.5 yrs or so.. so I can't do anything but buy retail at this point.

Thanks for your advice!

2. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

The 5 and 5C both use the A6 which is only one generation newer than the 4S.

They came with iOS 6, got iOS 7 and 8. I think you're only looking at iOS 9. Whereas (going historically), the 5S will go to iOS 10. I wouldn't buy a phone with a 2012 chip in 2014, but that's just me.

Either way, it will be a big upgrade. Apps are optimizing for the 16:9 ratio and yes, LTE is ridiculously faster. I went from a Verizon 4S to a 6 and my cellular speed went from 1-3MBs to 32MBs.

3. pdxmatts macrumors 65816

pdxmatts

4. Learylvr. macrumors regular

Learylvr.

If it was only 2 days later, why didn't you return the 4s and get the 5c? You were still in your window of returns.. That is a little odd .

5. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

If you can find one at a good price, I'd go for the 5s.

7. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

I would get a used 5s over a 5 any day. The 5s is MUCH faster than the 5...double the speed. Here's a benchmark for the 5s vs 5(on the left).

[​IMG]

8. mhdena macrumors 6502

The whole OP post is odd.

Carriers were offering $200 recently, some still are or are at $100.

I would never buy a scuffed up, scratched up phone.

And not giving it back in the 2 day time frame is odd as well.

Or was it because you needed your parents there to do the deal:eek:

9. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

Go to Verizon and see how much they will give you for your 4s. I think its $200. Then see if they have a 5s 32GB. Don't buy the 16GB because iOS is huge.

10. Neofate thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried, the local store wouldn't do anything.. shrug. I'm not making any of this up.. it makes no sense to lie about this :)

I'm sorry if the post/question is odd.

Well.. I'm considering used because of money. I don't have a ton of money to throw out on another phone to be honest.

I didn't need my parents there,.. I'm 35.

11. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

12. Neofate thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah.. I'm thinking of "future proofing" it a bit if I can.. but my budget is closer to $200 (as the offer for the 5 is $200 (I think she will go to $180 or so .. but still unsure of going with that particular phone hence the question here.)

The primary reason is the 4G/LTE -- over my current 3G. I'm still a bit confused why Apple didn't put 4G/LTE into the 4's to start with.. but it is what it is.

I'll check it out! Thanks good idea.

Ok, I've done a little comparison of the 5, 5s, 5c -- and I knew it was the best,.. but didn't realize it was something that was worth the extra money to that degree. I'll certainly see if anything is out there in my budget.

Thanks. Impressive benchmark side to side!

Yeah, my phone is flawless.. But here's the deal with Verizon.

I renewed contract March 4th, 2014. You have to wait till 20 out of 24 months to be considered for "early upgrade".. so I'm nowhere close to that.

Let's say they did give $200 for the 4S I have. The price verizon is charging for a 5s - 16GB is $549 -- Then activation is $30 (IIRC) .. So $580 + tax..

Around $625 or so - $200 = $425. I can't honestly afford that at this time. I'd love to get it brand new.

Thanks for the replies.. really helps. If anything more comes to mind let me know.

Take care,

----------

Apparently I can't access the marketplace via that link. Maybe a post count/user level thing.

13. pdxmatts macrumors 65816

pdxmatts

Well, you can sell your 4S and then use that money and extra you have to buy a used 5 or 5S. The 5 is a GREAT phone, ours are still fast and run just fine on IOS8. If you can score one that isn't beat up or scratched with 32gb in your price range, then I don't see why you shouldn't get one. Maybe next year you can sell that one and upgrade then. It doesn't need to be future proof for years, if you won't keep it long anyway.

14. Neofate thread starter macrumors newbie

Yup.

I believe I'm going to have to go with the person I trust and buy the regular 5.. which is just a 16GB (I know low memory).. but twice my 4S anyway. I run iOS 8 on the 4S for reference.

For $200 flat..

After comparing prices across the net, and Ebay even used nothing comes close to that price even on a 5c unless it's for parts only.

I've used up 7 months of the 2 year contract. So the 5 should be good enough to get me through till late 2015 when I'll be in the 20+ month range.. and can get an upgrade for free or the "new" whatever for $99.

And.. I can sell the 4S.. I've sold two regular 4's for decent prices.. not sure what the 4S's bring.. but it should help offset the cost down the line.

I want the 5s,.. I'd like the fingerprint scanner.. and the better processor, more Memory etc.. but the difference is more than double even used.

I doubt I'd run across anyone selling a 5s for $200 that is in good working condition ;)

15. UltimaKilo macrumors 6502

Find a 32 GB iPhone 5 and buy it. The 5 is still a great phone and you'll be glad for the extra memory down the line. The phone should last you until your upgrade.

16. Neofate thread starter macrumors newbie

Know any solid used non damaged, non secretly refurbished, 32GB 5's for $200 or less? :)

17. Neofate thread starter macrumors newbie

I Just purchased the phone.

Iphone - 5 - 16GB - White.

Not an S, not a C.

Decided to go with the person I trusted,.. and they said they would rather it go to someone they knew to "keep it in the family" so to speak.. rather than get a little more in a gift card form from Amazon, etc..

So I ended up paying $150 shipped. Nothing is wrong with it,.. I know that's an extremely good price , but it's only because its an acquaintance.

My 4S is immaculate with Lifetime screen protector and lifetime warranted Case.. I'll likely get more than I paid for the 5 for the 4S.

Only bad thing with the 5 is they don't have the charging cord (but do have the adaptor.. lol.. wish it was the other way around) -- So I'll have to buy that,.. a screen protector,.. and likely a case. Even though they are looking for an otterbox case they had on it and will send that with it if it's found.

My primary reason was just to get the 4G/LTE internet , so I think this is quite reasonable for that goal.. and can upgrade next year (late) for whatever is out at that time.

Thanks for the advice, opinions.