Have 6870 and Bootcamp installed. But can't boot back into OSX

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Renderz, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Renderz macrumors 6502

Feb 27, 2004
    Hi guys I have a problem.

I chucked in a XFX 6870 into my Mac Pro 1,1. It's fast and works fine as described elsewhere in this forum, however because there is no boot screen I cannot see what I'm booting into.

I cannot install Bootcamp onto Windows 7 because it blue screens everytime so i can't switch OS from within there.

I use the OPTION key during boot up but I'm just guessing what I'm actually selecting; here's the problem, when I think I've selected OSX the MP just hangs and because I have no screen display I cannot see what the issue is.

So my question is, how are other users without a boot screen switching from one OS to the other?
  2. juliancs macrumors 6502

Aug 24, 2006
    You can boot back once you are in windows. Open the boot camp app and choose osx to boot from there.
  3. Renderz thread starter macrumors 6502

Feb 27, 2004
    I can't. I've installed 64bit Windows 7 to get over the 2gb limit. When I install Bootcamp on W7 it blue screens.

Is there anyway to install just the "boot switcher" and not the drivers (which already work anyway).
  4. Neodym macrumors 68000

Jul 5, 2002
    Perhaps slightly OT, but i'm running a 4870 in my 1,1, which also does not give me a bootscreen. As i'm having a 3 monitor setup anyway, i solved this little annoyance by simply leaving the original 7300GT inside, which gives me a proper bootscreen and drives the secondary monitors.

Maybe kludgy, but works fine...
  5. Cindori macrumors 68040

Jan 17, 2008
    hold the Eject button when booting. this will eject your CD/DVD, but as a side effect it will also boot OSX, it doesnt matter what your default OS is set to.

the button is:

"Press Eject, F12, or hold the mouse or trackpad button"

from http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1533

if the MP hangs when booting OSX with 6870 then you are probably not using 10.6.8 or later
  6. Tower-Union macrumors 6502

May 6, 2009
    Mis-post, can't find the button to delete. . .