Have 8GB RAM, Should I switch out for 16? Late 2013, 13" RMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by savenas, Oct 29, 2013.

1. savenas macrumors newbie

Got my 13" Retina MBP (8GB ram, 256GB flash storage) yesterday, I'm coming from a late 2012 classic MBP that I had the ram upgraded to 16GB, I have a feeling the 8 won't cut it for me but i'm not sure, Checking the activity monitor the least I've seen for "memory used" is about 4GB, Most of the time it is 6-7.5GB, Does this mean I should just go ahead and return this and get the 16gb ram? I mostly use the MB for web browsing usually 2 browsers open(average 7-15 tabs), word processing, and occasional Virtual Machine, But usually don't run more than 1 program or so in the virtual machine, I noticed that when I quit the VM, although it doesn't show up in activity monitor my ram usage still seems to be high? any way to clear that out?
    Thanks ahead of time,

2. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

You are the best person to answer this question. You had a similar MBP with 16GB, I would use your rMBP a lot and see if you feel like you need the RAM back.

3. hachiman macrumors regular

Not worth it. I got the 13" 512GB SSD version with 8GB, I run firefox, virtualbox, itunes, mail, and a few other things all at the same time and it works just fine. You're just spending money where you don't need it just for the specs but you won't be using it. Spend money elsewhere that you will actually get some use out of it. Besides, Mavericks has memory compress, and if it eventually gets to the point where it has to write to the SSD, it's more than fast enough, over 700MB/s. You won't notice a thing.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/memory-clean/id451444120?mt=12

4. savenas thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply! your usage is very similar to mine actually, I think I should be good seeing that now, I'm going to see how it goes until the end of the week and make my decision then.