Have a 17" Core2Duo w/ Tiger - how to upgrade?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gavinshmavin, Mar 13, 2010.

1. gavinshmavin macrumors newbie

I have a 17" early-'07 iMac 1GB/160GB. I don't do a whole lot with it besides email, word processing, and web stuff. It's also serving as our "home theater" - and that's the rub. The display is just too small!

So my question is, if I'm otherwise happy with the 17", does it make sense to just get a ~24" second monitor ($200 or so), upgrade the RAM by throwing a $50 2GB unit in there, and upgrade the OS to Snow Leopard? It seems like dual monitors would be a bit unwieldy, but a whole lot cheaper than option 2, which is getting the bottom-of-the-line 27" iMac (or there's always the 24").

If I get a new machine I could get a ~$300 trade-in credit on the 17", so the cost difference is less than it seems.

Pros/cons? How long will the 17" continue to be useful for if I upgrade as outlined above?

Help me vanquish the paradox of choice! TIA.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Sounds like a sensible plan to me. Is it an Intel iMac? If not, you can't upgrade to SL.

3. gavinshmavin thread starter macrumors newbie

It is Intel. Can I do the $29 upgrade (saw some blog posts saying yes, but Apple says no?) or do I have to buy the Box Set?

4. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Physically, yes. Ethically/EULA, not so much.

5. gavinshmavin thread starter macrumors newbie

Got it. Thanks.