Have a 17" MB Pro Thinking of Getting an 11"MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by crose01, Jul 6, 2012.

1. crose01 macrumors newbie

crose01

With my 50th Birthday imminent I'm thinking of treating myself to an 11" MBA. It's just a vanity thing and I'm trying to justify it to myself . I also have an iPAD3 and Mac Mini running OSX Lion Server at home. Has anyone else had this dilema? I work as a Systems Architect for an IT company so my MBP get's a lot of use running VMWare etc. Obviously the MBA would be hard pushed to compete with this.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Are you looking to get rid of your MBP and replace it with the MBA or get an additional machine?

I think it could make sense as an additional machine for those times that you don't want to lug the 17" MBP around, with that said, I'd recommend you check out the screen. I found that its a bit too small for my eyes, so make sure its comfortable for you.

3. crose01 thread starter macrumors newbie

crose01

Have a 17" MB Pro Thinking of Getting an 11"MBA

I would still keep my MBP. Suppose I could upgrade the OS to the Server Version and use the XGrid so that it supports my existing OSX Lion Server. I use MS Office a lot on my MBP and the iOS5 Word Type editors don't just quite cut it which is what got me onto the MBA with MS Office 2011.

4. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

5. crose01 thread starter macrumors newbie

crose01

That should make it easier :D.

One thing I have noticed with the MBP is my seat is lower than normal the edge of the notebook is quite sharp on my wrists. The MBA tapers off somewhat. I've noticed the new MBP's are more or less the same as the old ones just a bit thinner.

6. norneDK macrumors newbie

The MBA is much nicer to type on if you ask me, it's the whole design that makes your wrists relax comfortably instead of the sharp metal feeling from the MBP.

My MBA 11" is my combined 39th birthday and graduation gift. I'm in a similar situation as you, my MBP 13" from 2010 helped me get through my M.A. thesis and works fine. Last Wednesday the 'baby Mac' arrived, and the MBP has been sitting in the closet ever since. I simply can't imagine taking the MBP anywhere now, and the main reason I got the 11" is for portability.

It did take me a few days to truly get used to the screen, but I learned the zooming and two-finger tapping to deal with the font when it gets too small. On the other hand, and this is definitely a BIG plus for me, the screen is a lot less glossy than the MBP. I actually think I get more eyestrain from using the glossy screen than zooming now and then on the MBA

Yesterday I got a 'fan noise' scare from using Firefox, but I totally blame Firefox. Today I've been streaming movies and series all day in Safari with barely any fan noise at all.

I'm sure you'll be happy with the MBA. With 17" you don't need further excuses to get a beautiful and extremely portable laptop.