Have a 2G iPhone and want to run 3.1.3

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by garvatron, Apr 18, 2010.

1. garvatron macrumors newbie

Hey Guys,

Tried to avoid starting another thread about this but I have a specific situation and want to make sure I can do this. Basically I bought a 2G iPhone (A1203) a couple of years ago right before I moved to China. As they didn't have iPhones or ATT over here, I had to jailbreak it. I did it myself but I am not very technically savvy and it was a bit of a pain. I am currently running 2.0.1 software and have avoided upgrading as I did not want to re-hack. But now it is becoming more troublesome not to upgrade as many new apps require a newer OS. So since I have a 2G phone it appears that it shouldn't be much of a problem or so "they" say. So my questions are:

Does anyone have step by step instructions to jailbreak a 2G to get access to 3.1.3?

Is it like reformatting a HD on a computer to upgrade OS and jailbreaking software (In other words, will I lose everything like applications, phone numbers, text history, photos, etc?)

Is there any chance my phone will "brick"? It would be nice to upgrade, but I need my phone to work first and foremost.

Thanks in advance for the help. I love Apple, but I really wish this kind of thing wasn't necessary.