Have a 3 year old iMac, considering buying new. Questions.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by poorlytoldjoke, May 30, 2011.

1. poorlytoldjoke macrumors newbie

Here's what I have. I have the 24" 3.06 Core 2 duo with 4 gigs of ram. I am considering buying the new 27" top end iMac, with the i5 processor, possibly upgrading ti the i7.

What sort of speed increase should I be seeing? Is this a worthwhile upgrade? I think I can likely sell my current iMac for around 800-1000. I was doing freelance graphic design and A/V work, but haven't in a while. I was hoping to step back towards that.

Thank you in advance.

2. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

3. mackage macrumors 6502

It would help others to answer this if you could ellaborate on your current computer use.

4. poorlytoldjoke thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, like I said, I'm planning on getting back to freelance graphic design, audio and video work. Specifically editing and scoring short pieces, typically less than 5 minutes, but up to 20. Mainly using Final Cut Pro and Protools.

5. veteq macrumors member

I just replaced my 3 year old iMac with the 27" i7. I use mine mostly for photo editing and the difference in speed is very noticeable, I am glad I got the i7 CPU.

6. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

I *am* running my own design studio -- doing a bunch of 24-48 page publications, posters, bus shelters, brochures, PPT presentations a few web sites and plenty of collateral material -- all on a 2.4 24" iMac.

No problems whatsoever.

If you have the money to blow, sure, it will be faster -- thats a given.

Cost effective? Im going to say "no" -- unless of course you spend most days waiting on it.

If thats a March 09 iMac you could go to 8 gigs of ram.