Have a disk NOT mount by default

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Ploki, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Ploki macrumors 68000

i wish to somehow set a volume not to mount at all at boot, is that possible? (except startup umount script).

2. Ploki thread starter macrumors 68000

sorry for bumping, but there HAS to be a way. its a friggin unix system :)
    i know i had to mount it manually on linux so probably something at boot takes care of that i just dont know where to find it

3. LtRammstein macrumors 6502a

LtRammstein

There are files in the UNIX side of OS X that take care of the automount whenever a drive is attached to the 1394a (Firewire) and USB ports. I forget the name of the file, but you can definitely find it and comment it out (which I don't recommend).

However, if you want to automount it, you can't use what is normally done on UNIX/Linux systems because Apple found it to be a security flaw (I think, correct me if I'm wrong) so using fstab is out of the question, but I believe you can still use it.

Hope this helps clarify. I'll add another post when I figure out what files you need to modify. Worst comes to it, you can search www.macosxhints.com. A lot of smart *nix guys put hints and tricks up on doing things you may or may not want.

4. Ploki thread starter macrumors 68000

5. LtRammstein macrumors 6502a

LtRammstein

Glad to help.

I've only used fstab for the auto-mounting (mainly on Fedora and CentOS), and I've never seen it done for automatic non-mounting, so I'm interested to see if it works.

6. Ploki thread starter macrumors 68000