Have a logic board issue -- worth it to replace?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mistereddie, May 24, 2009.

1. Mistereddie macrumors newbie

I have an iMac G5, about 4.5-5 years old now. It frequently shuts off and often refuses to turn on. After completing a series of troubleshooting guides at the apple website, it appears I have a faulty logic board.
    According to the people at the Mac store, a replacement logic board should be
    $879.95 plus labor.

I am assuming it is not worth it to replace the logic board (right?), but is there something else I could do to at least stave off the effects of the failing logic board? Or, is there some other alternative I have not yet discovered?

Thanks.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Not really, the logic board controls everything. If it is failing, nothing can act as a workaround.

You're better off buying a new iMac - or refurbished.

3. Mistereddie thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok. Thanks.

EDIT: By the way, will the logic board issues get progressively worse, or is the present shutting off/turning on issues pretty much the worst of it (barring other different failures)?

4. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

The logic board literally controls everything, so once it starts, its only going to get worse. Back up everything while you can because there is a very good chance it will refuse to boot soon. Correct me if I'm wrong, but even the processor is attached to the logic board, so that is why it costs so much.

5. Mistereddie thread starter macrumors newbie

I am backing all my stuff up now.

Thanks for the input guys.